Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Came.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

So my new computer came. It's amazing to look at, in general. nVidia GeForce 8800 gtx gfx card, 20 in. monitor, etc. etc... However, after my friend and I set it up and started it up (not expecting anything at all to work) we were glad to see all of the fans turn on, all of the lights light up, everything seemed normal. There was not a single malfunctioning fan on the first boot.

Now here's the problem, we got a message on the monitor saying that it couldn't find a video input. We toyed with the input but with no avail. After about 5 hours of toying around with reconnecting different wires and whatnot, we still couldn't get it. So we decided to call it a day and everything is still the way it was where all the fans turn on and whatnot, but we still can't get any video input. My friend is convinced it's the RAM but I don't think so because I've never been given any trouble with RAM and even then the computer would at least boot up and say that the RAM stick isn't working.

Mind you, this is booting from a clean hard drive with absolutely nothing on it, the exact specs of my computer can be seen here.

Please help, I'm in desperate need of a new computer and any information regarding the computer can be provided.

-nyiddle

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:08 AM

Even without a OS you should be able to see the BIOS. Why haven't you installed a OS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:09 AM

Even without a OS you should be able to see the BIOS. Why haven't you installed a OS?

Well when we try booting it the screen comes up with saying that there's no input when everything's plugged in as it should be; There's no installing a BIOS without a screen.

Posted Image

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:11 AM

That is a old motherboard. It does not support Core 2 Duo CPUs.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:26 AM

That is a old motherboard. It does not support Core 2 Duo CPUs.

Whaa?
It says it in the manual that it does, as well as on the box. Are you sure about that?

Posted Image

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:28 AM

ASUS P5WD2 Premium CPU Support
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:30 AM

ASUS P5WD2 Premium CPU Support

Holy crap...
I can't believe I didn't realize before I bought it...
Can I RMA it for the money back on NewEgg and then order a new one?

Posted Image

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:38 AM

It is under newegg's Standard Return Policy

#9 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:47 AM

It is under newegg's Standard Return Policy

Hey wait what?
Looking on the front of the box it actually says on the side that it's Dual-Core CPU ready... :|

Edited by nyiddle, 28 November 2006 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:01 AM

Dual-core and Core 2 Duo isn't the same thing. There are many different dual-core processors out there. Core 2 Duo is only one option. That it is dual-core ready means that it supports some kind of dual-core, in this case the Pentium D.

#11 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:30 AM

Dual-core and Core 2 Duo isn't the same thing. There are many different dual-core processors out there. Core 2 Duo is only one option. That it is dual-core ready means that it supports some kind of dual-core, in this case the Pentium D.

Ah I see. I'm in school right now, but I was considering just getting a different CPU since it's hard as hell to disconnect everything from the motherboard and I spent so long just getting it in. Any recommended CPU's for near the same price as the one I have right now?

Edit:
Not to mention I doubt I'd be able to find all of the parts that went with it since it came with a lot of extras and stuff.

Edited by nyiddle, 28 November 2006 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

Frankly, the Core 2 Duo line of CPU are the best there is. Anything which would be compatible with that motherboard is cheap, worthless, value junk.

#13 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:35 PM

What mobo should I get now? I'll be looking for ones that suit my need, but I want one that's ~ the price of the old one.

Saw this, from what I can tell it seems compatible, though I'd like some extra approval.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813127011
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16819115002

Edited by nyiddle, 28 November 2006 - 03:37 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

The ABIT would work, yes. Personally, though, I'd go for one of these:
MSI 975X Platinum V.2 at a reasonable $170. Or, if your willing to spend...
eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR at $250 with nVIDIA's new wonder-chip.

#15 nyiddle

nyiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:07 PM

The ABIT would work, yes. Personally, though, I'd go for one of these:
MSI 975X Platinum V.2 at a reasonable $170. Or, if your willing to spend...
eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR at $250 with nVIDIA's new wonder-chip.

The first one is TERRIBLE according to the reviews.
I just stuck with the ABIT.

Edited by nyiddle, 28 November 2006 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users