Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MoBo/Video Card/Sound Card Prob

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cptsteel59

cptsteel59

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 25 December 2004 - 11:36 PM

a friend asked me to install a sound card (creative sound blaster live 5.1) in his computer. well, i check out his computer to make sure he had enough specs for his machine to run - everything was alright. then i popped the sound card in ... plugged the computer back up. went to boot and the MoBo started beeping (constantly) and the video did not work. did a little research - the beeping was from bad video card. i took the old video card out and put it in another machine and it worked fine. I reset the RAM and the video card back in the orig case - and i took out the new sound card - but still no luck. what should i do next? do you think the MoBo is bad? if so, how can installing a sound card kill the MoBo (which is beeping like a bat out of hell). Please Help! It will be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:22 AM

Does it sound like its beeping in a pattern? 5 timers in a row and pause etc..something like that?

#3 cptsteel59

cptsteel59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:31 AM

no...it is just a constant beep. from looking on the net, the constant beep means a video prob (for that particular mobo).

but the video card (agp) works fine (tried it on another machine) - but when i plugged the new sound card (pci) - the mobo started beeping and the video stopped working.

what should i do?

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 06:03 AM

Have you tried a different PCI slot for the video card?

Also, what version of Windows do you have? There could be a IRQ conflict.

Edited by JEservices, 26 December 2004 - 06:04 AM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 cptsteel59

cptsteel59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:32 PM

yes ive tried all the pci slots

OS is 2000

anymore ideas?

#6 cptsteel59

cptsteel59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:28 PM

if it is an IRQ conflict...how the heck do i resolve it when i dont have a video output????

Please help!

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:39 PM

Does the computer's motherboard have an onboard sound card? If so, have you disabled it in the bios?

#8 cptsteel59

cptsteel59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:44 PM

yes...it has an onboard sound card....but how do i disable in bios when i cant get a video output??

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:37 PM

Have you tried a different monitor? In some computers, if you do not have the monitor plugged in, it will signal that with a constant beep.

Also, does the monitor flash, even for a second, when it is coming on or do you get absolutely nothing?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2004 - 01:26 PM

I read the original post wrong..thought it only beeped when a particular video card is in. I would take all the cards out of the machine except the video card and see if it boots. Then add each component back in one at a time.

If that does not work, take out one of the memory chips and see if that helps. If that does not work, put the one you just took out back in and take out the other one. etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users