Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Messing With Certain Applications?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StEvE21

StEvE21

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:40 PM

My brother hooked up a router yesterday, and since then I have been unable to sign in to msn 7.5, my hotmail account, and my gmail account, when the router is DISCONNECTED. When it IS connected, the laptop connects without any trouble, but my desktop cannot connect at all.
I have sympatico dsl.

The tech support at netgear won't help us because it is a refurbished product, so we just totally disconnected the router, and I believe it is going back to the store. But i am still having trouble with msn, hotmail, ...

Any help?
Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 November 2006 - 11:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:23 AM

Hey StEvE21.
Try to clear your Rcache. Go to Start then Run. Type in cmd. When the command line window pops up type in ipconfig /flushdns.

Edited by acklan, 02 December 2006 - 06:24 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:10 PM

So, you can get online with the router - but not when the router is disconnected?

If so, this may be a MAC address issue at your ISP. I'd suggest calling them and first finding out what their policy is regarding multiple computers on one account. If there's no additional charge, then ask them about the MAC thing.

Each network device has a MAC address - and the one in your PC is different than the one in the router. If the router still works, go into the setup and write down the MAC address. While you're in there, see if it's got a setting to "clone" the MAC address from a PC. If so, you can use either one depending on which works for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users