Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Modem/internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 i_am_cipher

i_am_cipher

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

hi,

I recently had to reinstall my XP. Ever since then every time I restart my computer, my internet connection won't work. I need to unplug the power cord from my modem wait a few seconds and then plug it back in, then its fine again. untill of course, I need to restart windows again. It seems as if its not saving my IP settings or something. I called my ISP (comcast) and they said it sounds like my modem is broke and wanted to charge me to have some one come out and check it out. this all happened exactly when i had to reinstall XP (completely formated my HD) So I feel its way too much of a coincidence that my cable modem would break at the exact same time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can fix this, or what can be causing this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hi i_am_cipher, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:
Need a little info about your setup.
What is the make and model of your cable modem?
Are you using a router or is this a single system with only the modem connected directly to the wall outlet?
Did you re-install required drivers after the reformat\re-install of windows?
When you first boot up and the connection doesn't work, are all the activity lights on the modem on?

#3 i_am_cipher

i_am_cipher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:42 PM

Its a Toshiba SB5120
No router its connected directly to the wall
yes I reinstalled the correct drivers, I used the Gateway recovery CD, so it supposed to put everything back to factory settings.
yes all the lights come on

#4 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

What happens when you just refresh the network interface?

Via command line:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Edited by silmaril8n, 28 November 2006 - 01:35 PM.

#5 i_am_cipher

i_am_cipher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:12 PM

my ISP had me try this also

I'm I'm connected to the internet, i can release and renew it, when I reboot the connection says, but if I shut the power off completely when I restart it loses the connection once again. And i can renew once the conenction is dead. So I had to unplug the power in the back of the modem again.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

Its a Toshiba SB5120

A quick search tells me the SB5120 is a Motorola, not a Toshiba.

yes I reinstalled the correct drivers, I used the Gateway recovery CD, so it supposed to put everything back to factory settings.

The dell recovery cd does not contain drivers. There will be a seperate disk for those.

Go here and look at the picture of the SB5120. If that's what you have and are using the usb connection, download and install the drivers for it from the same page. If this is the correct modem and you are using the ethernet connection instead, let us know.

#7 i_am_cipher

i_am_cipher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:49 PM

yeah i meant to say Motorola, I was looking right at my modem as i typed it also oops :thumbsup:

but you goofed up also, I have a Gateway not a Dell :flowers:
The drivers are on the CD, because at first I installed Windows with a separate XP disk i have, and i had to use the gateway disk to install the drivers. I wasn't able to find my sound card drives so thats when i just stuck in the Gateway Cd and reinstalled it with that disk. So as far as i know I am using the drivers off the disk.

I'm using the Ethernet connection.

#8 i_am_cipher

i_am_cipher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

So maybe my modem IS broke?

It just seemed like way too much of a coincidence that my modem would break at the exact same time I install XP again. Once its connected it works great. I don't put too much faith into what phone support people say, more often than not they are dead wrong. Atleast in my experiences anyway.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:38 AM

The ISP can test your modem from their office.

But, this may not be a modem problem. When I wired my house for our home network I had constant connection problems.

After a bunch of research I found that the cable that went into my modem was split several times before it reached the modem (inside the house). So I split the cable where it came in the house and ran one side directly to the cable modem - and haven't had a problem since! Turns out the multiple splits and the old cable caused enough signal loss that the connection wouldn't stay up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 i_am_cipher

i_am_cipher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:11 PM

But did you lose your connection once it was connected, or was it only when you reboot? Once I'm connected its fine, I don't lose the connection at all, its only when my windows is restarted.

All my ISP told me is that they can see that i was having connection problems in the last 48 hours. I'll try giving them a call back, maybe if I speak to someone else they might know something. I don't want to be stubborn, but I just have a hard time believing my modem broke at the exact same time i had to reinstall windows lol
And the fact its only when windows starts i don't ahve a conection seems like its some kind of setting that isn't right...

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

Sounds more an more like a Windows issue (rather than a modem or browser).

2 things to try:
1) Disable your current network connection. Then create a new one. Run both the Network connection wizard and the Network Setup Wizard. Then reboot the computer and see what happens.
2) Uninstall and then install the latest version of your network card drivers (available from the manufacturer's website). Toshiba sucks at this, so it may be a bit frustrating.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users