Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Av 7.5 Bug?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 throwthisaway

throwthisaway

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

I can't seem to update my AVG Anti-Virus. On the site, it says there's new updates, but it seriously won't let me.

After about five minutes of attempting to update, it shows a help window that tells me unneeded info (i.e. allowing firewalls to let it through..) I have no firewalls running, as I'm on a router.

Uh, anyone else experiencing this problem? I've already reinstalled multiple times, no luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

Assuming you are using the free version.
Some more info found on the web:

Uninstalling AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

Typically, you can remove AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition by clicking on Start -> Control Panel, then double left clicking on Add/Remove Programs. Select AVG Free Edition from the list, and select add/remove.

If this fails to complete the process (IE: AVG is damaged) you can also remove it using the following method.

You can do so by redownloading from :

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

Save the file to your desktop. Once downloaded locate "avg7.5 free.exe" on your desktop and double left click on it. Once running, select "Uninstall" from the list of options.

The above worked on previous AVG antivirus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the system has had Norton AV in the past... we've had several users able to run the stand alone uninstaller available from their support website to help clear up some of these issues that is caused by an incomplete uninstall...

Many AVG update problems have been attributed to a corrupted Winsock/TCP-IP stack. While you may have what appears to be normal access to the internet and email, other functions may not be working properly. To fix these types of problems, download the util mentioned below.

WinSockFix from [www.tacktech.com]

NOTE: Recent updates to some versions of Windows won't allow this util to backup the registry so ignore any errors you may get and perform the registry backup manually if needed.

Edited by buddy215, 27 November 2006 - 06:44 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 throwthisaway

throwthisaway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

I know how to uninstall programs, I'm not that clueless, haha.

I'll try out the registry program, although I haven't changed anything (or downloaded, for that matter) for around a week. I'm pretty sure it's a server issue with AVG.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:35 PM

So, you have already attempted the SECOND method of uninstalling?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 throwthisaway

throwthisaway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

Right after the FIRST method.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:57 PM

Have you tried a manual update?

Manual Update site:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5

Priority updates - These are virus definition updates.
Recommended updates - These are program bug fixes.
Optional updates - low priority presentation changes.

How to update:

Copy the .bin file to a folder, or your desktop.
Start AVG Control Centre.
Click Update, at the bottom of the dialog window are the buttons Internet and Folder.
Click Folder, a directory tree will open, asking you to point to the folder where you put the .bin file.
Once you click the correct folder, AVG will find it, and update itself.

If you do not have the option to choose the update source, because the Do not ask for the update source box had been ticked,
You can reset this in the Control Centre, by clicking View / Components / Update Manager.
In the Update Manager, in the Properties tab, untick the Do not ask for the update source box.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:48 AM

Had the same issue with ver.7 yesterday. Probably a server issue.
Try it again today, you should be fine.

#8 throwthisaway

throwthisaway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

It's fixed, guys. Was probably a server issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users