Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offbeat News: 3rd Rock from the Sun...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 25 December 2004 - 09:41 PM

Look out 3rd rock from the sun!

The sky is falling - again....

Asteroid has 1-in-60ish chance of Earth hit

By Robert Roy Britt, SPACE.com

An asteroid that has a small chance of hitting Earth in the year 2029 was upgraded to an unprecedented level of risk Friday, Dec. 24. Scientists still stress, however, that odds are further observations will show the space rock won't be on a collision course with the planet.

The risk rating for asteroid 2004 MN4 was raised Friday by NASA and a separate group of researchers in Italy.

The asteroid's chance for hitting Earth on April 13, 2029 has now been categorized as a 4 on the Torino Scale. The level 4 rating never before issued is reserved for "events meriting concern" versus the vast majority of potentially threatening asteroids that merely merit "careful monitoring."

The Dec. 24 update from NASA states:

"2004 MN4 is now being tracked very carefully by many astronomers around the world, and we continue to update our risk analysis for this object. Today's impact monitoring results indicate that the impact probability for April 13, 2029 has risen to about 1.6%, which for an object of this size corresponds to a rating of 4 on the ten-point Torino Scale. Nevertheless, the odds against impact are still high, about 60 to 1, meaning that there is a better than 98% chance that new data in the coming days, weeks, and months will rule out any possibility of impact in 2029."

Posted 12/25/2004 3:50 AM
News from SPACE.com
Science & Space news on USATODAY.com

Complete article

//Poster's comment: Meanwhile, M$N vows that MN4 will not impact Longhorn in the slightest...// :thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:19 AM

Man this is spooky stuff.......I've always believed this would happen one day.

As the article states however , it won't cause global damage but only severe wide spread local destruction...........god help us. :thumbsup:
JTH

#3 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:11 PM

I've always believed this would happen one day.

As the article states however , it won't cause global damage but only severe wide spread local destruction...........god help us.  :flowers:

Sure it will happen.. It happens every 65 million years or so.. I'm surprised it didn't happen more frequent as we're surounded by great big asteroid belt and Oort Cloud..
I just saw the program on TV guy's landing a satelitte on one of them (for real). I just hope we are going to develope technology advanced enough to push the asteroid into outer space by this time.
We don't really need anything extraterrestrial to cause the catastrophy though.. Just look at recent quake in Indonesia. There are predictions about Istanbul too.. I hope it won't happen but there is the chance that it will. Death toll and destruction would be many times greater than what just happened in Indonesia..
And that isn't the only critical faultline on Earth.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:14 AM

i guess a helicopter, a stunt pilot, and a hook won't save us???

:thumbsup:

damgud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users