Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox + Noscript = Never Get Infected Again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zeppelined

zeppelined

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

Hello. I'm pretty new here, just poking around while I wait for someone to have a go at my HJT log over in that forum. I'm surprised that nowhere in the various advice threads here did I see anyone mention the use of Firefox with the NoScript extension for preventing spy/mal/etc-ware. (apologies if it's there and I didn't see it).

In roughly two years of running Firefox with the NoScript extension installed on my PC, my wife's laptop and my parents' PC, I haven't had even a faint whiff of spyware or anything else evil. It got to the point where I wasn't even running Ad-Aware regularly anymore. I'd go four months and run it just to be safe, and it never found anything. A few tracking cookies and that's it. This is a free and easy method to make your computer almost spyware-proof.

Now, you may ask, if it's so great, why did you have to post a HJT log in the HJT Analysis forum? I ran an exe file that I had run through Norton and was reported to be safe. Norton was wrong.

But I'd bet that if everyone started running Firefox with this extension, which blocks the use of java applets unless you manually give the website permission to do so, the number of help requests here would drop like a stone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

I use Firefox 2 sometimes and like it. Did you see this? What does it mean and do they have patches? http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20061127/tc_pcworld/128016
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:20 PM

socom 004,

You can avoid problems from that, by not using Firefox's Password manager, until a patch is offered.

Tools / Options / Security
Under Passwords, uncheck Remember passwords for sites.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:24 AM

Thanks...I did it.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:29 AM

You're welcome, socom 004.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 zeppelined

zeppelined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

Hm, well, I suppose that is a problem, but if some kid wants to break into my MySpace page, I'm not all that worried. As long as my bank doesn't allow people to create websites with forms, I should be ok. :-)

Just in case I wasn't emphatic enough, I really think that the very useful "How To Protect Your Computer" threads should have some info about using Firefox with NoScript. It really is the closest thing to a cure-all.

socom 004,

You can avoid problems from that, by not using Firefox's Password manager, until a patch is offered.

Tools / Options / Security
Under Passwords, uncheck Remember passwords for sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users