Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files & Settings Transfer Wizard Is Opening My Saved Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brettoe

brettoe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

I decided to do a clean install and before reinstalling the operating system I used the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to save my files to a network drive. The file is there and appears to be saved properly....the file name is USMT2.UNC....there are 2 documents w/n called: IMG00001 and status. When I use the wizard to access the files again it gives me this error message: "The location you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box." How do I recover my files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:40 AM

I'm not real familiar with this feature, but I think that you've got to use the FAST wizard to restore the files to your system. Go to Start...All Programs...Accessories...System Tools...Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and launch the dialog.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 brettoe

brettoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

That's the problem - that FAST Wizard gives an error when trying to open the files. I can walk through the wizard and after I select the FAST file I get the error message when I try to continue. Is there another trick to open it............I will lose a lot of data if not.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:27 AM

Sorry, I was tired and didn't read the entire post.

Generally this error means that the files are corrupted. The easiest fix is to run the FAST tool again (if you haven't deleted that partition yet!)

Otherwise, here's some links that may help. The last is to a download of a tool that's referenced in the first 2 links:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
http://www.geocities.com/bbacle2003/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 brettoe

brettoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

Yeah - I've seen those sites....I did download the fastconv tool but haven't had any luck with it. I unzipped the fastconv tool and added to a folder on my C drive named fast.....then I created an old folder on the C drive that contains my usmt2.unc file...........and created a new folder to transfer the open files to. On the Command Prompt I entered the following:
"cd C:/fast" then enter
"fastconv /s:C:\old\usmt2.unc /d:C:\new" enter

These were entered w/o quotation marks. It then gives me the function of the tool but doesn't extract the files..........am I doing this part wrong or skipping a step maybe?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

I'm late for work right now, so this post is just to bump you back to the top. If you'll reply to it, it'll remind me to look at it later. I've got some folks with some experience with this tool at work.

EDIT: Sorry, no help from work. I'd suspect that the files are corrupted beyond repair since the fastconv tool didn't help.

Edited by usasma, 02 December 2006 - 09:25 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:28 PM

I'd suggest going the the http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm site and seeing if you can get some feedback from Ramesh. He's an MVP - which means he's dedicated to helping the online community (it's a great program that rewards those who freely contribute to the online community).

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

Try using the fast tool from a your usb drive to transfer the data back to the new C drive.

Open it, and in the screen that says, “Do you have a Windows XP CD,” you can select “I want to create a Wizard Disk.” - cCreate it on your USB drive.

There is a pull-down menu that defaults to the floppy drive. Any removable USB drive (including your external usb drive) should show up in the pull-down menu — just select to make the wizard disk on that USB drive. You do have to have the USB Jump drive (or external drive) connected to your USB drive prior to starting the F.A.S.T. wizard. When you go to the old computer, just connect the removable USB drive and double-click on or open the WIZARD.EXE file and it will load and run the wizard on that computer to gather the information to transfer with the F.A.S.T. Wizard.

The above is basically from the link usasma posted. It should work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users