Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've Lost "my Pictures"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hi folks,

I've lost "My Pictures"!! Yesterday, I was about to open it to attach a picture to an email when, as I hovered over it with my mouse, that file moved. Somehow, it scooted down a file to "My Videos". I opened that file to try and move "My Pictures" back out of it, but it had disappeared! It WAS there, I saw it! Then POOF!

I looked in Windows Explorer, I did a Search for it, I've checked my Owner's Files. It's nowhere to be seen! Please help me find it, and if possible, help me to understand what the heck happened. Thanks a bunch.

Regards,

Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

Instead of searching for the folder, try searching for the name of one of the pictures in the folder. Hopefully this will lead you to where your pictures have disappeared to.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hi Orangeblossom,

Thanks for the idea, but I couldn't get it to work for me. Don't know if maybe I wasn't using the correct search parameters, not too well versed in searching. I did tell it I was looking for pictures, any file, hidden as well, and even tried two different file names. Should I have added the 'jpg' to the name I was searching for? Figured it knew that, tho. I'm just baffled on this one. Any other ideas? I had to do a System Restore for another issue, went back 10 days, didn't help this situation, tho. Thanks.

Regards,

Eagle7

#4 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

Hi Orangeblossom,

Thanks for the idea, but I couldn't get it to work for me. Don't know if maybe I wasn't using the correct search parameters, not too well versed in searching. I did tell it I was looking for pictures, any file, hidden as well, and even tried two different file names. Should I have added the 'jpg' to the name I was searching for? Figured it knew that, tho. I'm just baffled on this one. Any other ideas? I had to do a System Restore for another issue, went back 10 days, didn't help this situation, tho. Thanks.

Regards,

Eagle7

Do a search for *.jpg or *.gif and see if any or still on your PC.

#5 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

Hi Bicycle Bill,

Well, hot dog! Pictures DID indeed appear when I did a search for jpg, 344 of them in fact. I scrolled through them and that's what I expected to see. They appear to be in triplicate at least, I'm guessing because they're coming from different files? However, finding the pictures didn't do anything towards resurrecting the "lost file". I still have no idea where that took off to. In the meantime, I'm guessing that maybe I should Save the pics that came up in the search to a new folder? I'll go ahead and do that now. How to proceed from here? Thanks for helping me get this far! Much appreciated!

Regards,

Eagle7

PS- While a "My Pictures" entry now shows up in Windows Explorer, when I click on Open, I get a screen that says "No Preview Available". In other words, I can't seem to pull up my pictures from My Documents>My Pictures, nothing is there. Any ideas?

Edited by Eagle7, 27 November 2006 - 10:49 PM.

#6 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:31 AM

Just a thought, but do you have any files "hidden?"
Go to Control Panel>Folder Options >View.
Check "Show hidden files" and "show system files."

Kinda sounds to me like you dragged and dropped into a hidden file somehow.
While you're there check "show full path in title bar." That way you'll know
where you're finding those pictures.

Good luck-1101doc
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:37 AM

Since you found them now would be a good time to back them up to removeable media (cds, etc) or at least a different hard drive if you have that capability.

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:50 AM

I think that when you do a search, you can also right click an item and have it open the location where the file is.

#9 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

Enthusiast, Well, the good news is - I do have all my pics backed up (data, too). I do that at least once a month, so at least I've GOT them, all I have to do is find the darn file/folder. What good would it do me to reload my backed up pics when I can't find "My Pictures" folder? Please bear with me, I'm trying to learn. Thanks.

Mommabear, I'll try your suggestion, thanks.

1101doc, I think you're probably onto something there, as I was using the mouse at the time it disappeared off the face of the earth. I'll check on and make any changes to the hidden files thing you mentioned. I'm pretty sure I have it set to "Show..", but I'll verify and report back to you all. Thanks.

Regards.

Eagle7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users