Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Housemaster

Housemaster

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

Ok, Here's the problem. The "Blue Screen of Death" comes up for no real reason I can see (I don't have to run anyting, I don't have to move the mouse, nothing. It just crashes.), and when it comes up, it only comes up for less than a second and then my computer restarts. This keeps happening over and over, and it seems that my computer only lasts about 15 minutes or so before it crashes. I've tried scanning for viruses with AVG Free, scanning for spyware with AVG Anti-Spyware, I have ZoneAlarm up as my Firewall... I can't figure out what could be doing this. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:16 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Go to: Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have to reboot manually.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Housemaster

Housemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

Done. Now all we have to do is wait for my computer to mess up again and crash... Which it hasn't done since before the last post... which is wierd. Well, we'll know soon enough what the error is.
EDIT: Here's a picture of the error, I figured it was the easiest way to give all of the info.
Posted Image
Edit again: Wow, that was bigger than expected... Oops, if a smaller pic is needed, tell me.

Edited by Housemaster, 27 November 2006 - 04:53 PM.

#4 Housemaster

Housemaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:04 PM

Um, sorry for Doubleposting, but it won't stay alive for very long and I'm afraid that if I wait it's going to get worse... Anyways, I've got the Pic up, and it should be working... Again, sorry for Doubleposting, but I think it might be urgent. My brother's computer had a problem similar to this but it got worse over time... Thanks for the help

Edited by Housemaster, 27 November 2006 - 05:04 PM.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

Is it always the same message, or is it different sometimes?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

Link: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_519j.htm

Usually this is caused by a bad driver - but it requires some use of the different Driver Verifier tools to be sure. I'm not real skilled with those tools.

To see if you can keep it alive a bit longer, you may want to uninstall any hardware devices that you can live without (temporarily) - if it's one of these drivers that's the cause it may fix the problem.

I'd suggest updating your drivers in the following order:
1) Windows Update
2) Motherboard/chipset drivers
3) Video drivers
4) Network card (NIC) drivers
5) Wireless Network Card (if needed)
6) Modem (if needed
7) Sound card
8) Other devices built into the motherboard
9) Other devices that plug into the motherboard (TV Card, controller cards, etc)
10) Other devices that plug into the computer's case (USB devices, printers, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, etc)

Edited by usasma, 30 November 2006 - 08:41 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users