Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overactive Pop-up Blocker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AshS

AshS

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

I have an overactive pop-up blocker that is blocking things I don't want blocked such as the message I get after requesting to stop my flash drive from the USB port ("It is safe to remove the selected device." or something like that). I have disabled the pop-up blockers that I am aware of, but this continues to happen. Does anyone know how to stop it from blocking windows like this? It's not even an internet-related window, which makes it more puzzling.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

Which popup blocker are you using?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 AshS

AshS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

I've got a few - the one that comes with Firefox (used when I use Firefox), the one that comes with IE (used when I use IE) and one with Google toolbar (only works with IE). I tried disabling all of them at the same time and it didn't have any effect, so I'm not sure if it's a pop-up blocker that is causing the problem. I'm not seeing any system messages from Windows - messages that pop up and tell you something about your computer and ask you to click OK after reading them and then the window goes away. There's a sound made so I know they're being generated, but I never see them because something is stopping that from happening.

I think the problem occurred when I had both yahoo SBC internet protection installed and my NOD32 antivirus at the same time, but I'm not sure. I've since uninstalled yahoo SBC internet protection. Is it possible that having the two on at the same time, even briefly, caused a change somewhere that is making this happen?

I tried doing a system restore, but it didn't solve the problem, so I undid the restore.

Thank you!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

I heard yesterday that there were problems with the SBC Yahoo software. And, a system that we were trying to install it on just flat refused to take it (lot's of svchost.exe errors) - turns out it wouldn't work with IE7.

FWIW - this doesn't sound like it's a pop-up blocker that's causing this - rather it's an errant piece of software or a virus.

I'd suggest using this free, online scan to double check your system: http://safety.live.com Choose the "Full Service Scan"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 AshS

AshS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

Thanks! I ran the scan; hopefully it will solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users