Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Anti Spyware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Big Bruce

Big Bruce

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

Last night I spent 2 hours with my daughter on the end of the phone trying to clean her machine of malware. She has no viruses, but had a lot of malware. One that really pissed me off was called VirusBurster. For those who don't know, this is a nasty little bugger. What it does is install itself (don't know how) and then it pretends to be real anti-virus software and pops up messages saying that your PC is infected with spyware, trojans and so on. These messages are quite scary and upset my daughter quite a lot:

What is Virus Burst?

VirusBurst is rogue spyware remover. Which means it's a fake program that fools people into thinking it is a real application for removing spyware. The developers of this program have a LONG history of un-ethical tactics to acquire their customers. They work hard to get their spyware installed on your pc. Then, once infected, you're pounded with irritating false Virus alerts. These alerts are irritating by design. They hope to frustrate you into shelling out $50 for VirusBusrt just to stop their popups.

Posted Image

VirusBurst Common Problems:

* Excessive Popups
* Slower PC
* Slower Internet Surfing
* Slower Boot Process
* Errors
* Personal Information Theft (bank accounts, passwords)

VirusBurst Removal Instructions:

Removing VirusBurst can be extremely difficult. This spyware hides itself in your system very well. So well, it can't be removed by most programs. To safely remove all VirusBurst components causing popups, we recommend using only a well-known spyware removal utility such as XoftSpy. Xoftspy is specially updated twice a week to fight the latest VirusBurst infections and is specifically designed to remove trojans like VirusBust.

XoftSpy is completely safe and free of adware/spyware and can be trusted. Far too often many programs come bundled with a bug you don't want.

Also, if you do an Google virusburster you get a plethora of sites all owned by the makers of VirusBurster offering a download and free fix, which isn't free, it's very misleading, the Download costs $50 and the manual intructions look as though they would either kill your PC or leave the malware in place.

So you can see why I was not happy. It took a long time to identify and kill over the phone, and was labelled by McAfee as a low threat. I saw nothing low about it's threat. It pissed me off a lot.

Now there is a petition on the site I linked to earlier, but I don't see how much good this is going to do. I believe that the people who market VirusBurst and VirusBurster are criminals. They caused damage to my daughter's PC, stole her bandwidth and disk space, lied to her, tried to steal her passwords and potentially her private banking information that is protected by law and tried to con her into buying crappy anti-virus software she didn't need and I want revenge.

So what can I do?

I live in Switzerland so suing them is probably out of the question. There is plenty of information around (particularly here) on how to kill the malware, but no-one who can tell me how to get these crooks brought to book. I am also concerned that something this painful is also still pretty primitive, if they make money off this the next version will be even more pernicious.

Obviously I can hire a hit man, but that seems extreme, and more expensive than I care to go, so has anyone any suggestions? Is this behavious even legal? I cannot find any sign that the US or UK governments consider this sort of thing bad. Why not? Why should an unscrupulous crapware company be allowed to get away with this?
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

You might want to try Grinler's tutorial on removal of VirusBurst here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63896/how-to-remove-virusburst-removal-instructions/
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 idssteve

idssteve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

I'm mad as hell, also. Where are these people located? Where can i donate for a hit man? ;) What are legal possibilities? Who is their ISP/webhost???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users