Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help With Regseeker Version 1.52?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hi007

hi007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:23 AM

Hi, I'm using a 4 month old Window XP. I have scanned my computer with Regseeker 1.52 recently and was shocked to find 400 plus registry issues marked for removal. Some entries are in green and the others in red. This software is highly recommended to clean junk registries that pile up impeding your system performance. Unfortunately there are no tutorials, guides or help link available for this software.You are on your own! For a beginner like me these registries are all latin and i don't want to damage my system by taking a potshot with RegSeeker. Infact there is a disclamer from RegSeeker stating that they would not be responsible if anything were to go wrong! Now the entries are mostly under the sub-category HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, ActiveX/COM(CLSID) all in red, Missing files or pathways mostly in green, Obsolete Entries, Uninstalled references (mostly green), unused file extensions (all green).

Now my question even if i set a restore point manually, make back-ups with the RegSeekers own Backup folder and remove these entries only after trying with one such entry just to be on the safe side to see if the back-up really works, which ones should i junk and which ones do i keep?? Also is it true that you should not junk unused file extensions for you never know when you might need them. PLEASE HELP? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:05 AM

Unless you have a specific problem you're trying to correct, it's best to stay out of the Registry.
Registry cleaners mark entries as bad, depending on what the software creator thinks is bad.
That's why no 2 cleaners will find all of the same "problems".
Registry "problems" actually have very little effect on the overall performance of the operating system.

If you're not experienced with working in the registry, and judging by the questions, you're not, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry

Edited by tg1911, 27 November 2006 - 08:10 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:23 PM

The other option is to download Ccleaner here
update it. Under options advanced you will see something like " create a backup of the register ? " tick that.

Start Ccleaner klick on problems and tick everything with the register and start analyzing. After it is finished you will get a default question whether you want to make a backup. As a default it will be stored in " My Documents " . If smething goes terribly wrong you can, by double klicking , reinstall this backup.

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:06 PM

FWIW: Regseeker is a pretty aggressive registry cleaner. Even if you don't use it often, it could cause problems that could be somewhat difficult to track down. The truth of the matter is that even if you don't use registry cleaners, your computer will run fine.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:25 PM

Even with CCcleaner, I am wary about 'fixing' the registry entries they find. Unless I know for certain that it is an unnecessary or incorrect entry, I leave it alone. I know for a fact that one of the programs I have that runs using files both on the computer and on its CD would not function properly if I were to 'fix' the associated registry entries.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:15 AM

Even with CCcleaner, I am wary about 'fixing' the registry entries they find. Unless I know for certain that it is an unnecessary or incorrect entry, I leave it alone. I know for a fact that one of the programs I have that runs using files both on the computer and on its CD would not function properly if I were to 'fix' the associated registry entries.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

I must say that until I had found this option I was very reluctant, to say the very least, to start doing this. :flowers: I first experimented with it on an old computer and oit worked fine. :trumpet:

#7 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:15 AM

with ccleaner i remove the registry entries of programs that i've uninstalled.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:03 AM

with ccleaner i remove the registry entries of programs that i've uninstalled.

A better option would be to use a program like Total Uninstall, to monitor the installation of new programs.
Then use it, when it comes time to uninstall the program.
It will remove all of the registry entries associated with the program.
In most instances, it will do a better job of uninstalling the program, than the programs uninstaller, or Add/Remove.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#9 hi007

hi007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

Hi, thanks for all your help and suggestions. I already have CCleaner 1.35.424 installed and this is their new version which came out about 10 days back. It does a real swell job of cleaning up my computer of all that useless junk that keeps piling up. No problems at all and totally safe! Thanks tg1911, i'll give Total Uninstall a try as add/remove program option available on XP sometimes leaves files and registry keys of bad written programs on your system!

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:51 AM

You're welcome, hi007.
If there's anything else we can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users