Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Slikk1

Slikk1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

Hi, I've installed 256mb ram in my computer, but when I go to the systems property page it olny states that I have 192. Can any one tell me why. This is also preventing me from downloading programs that require that I have 256mb of ram. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:46 AM

It's possible that your video card is using some of that memory for itself. Can you provide more specs for your PC? If it is not homemade then a make/model would be great too.

#3 Slikk1

Slikk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

its a pentium 3 733mhz. I also have a v-stream tv878 video capture card

#4 Slikk1

Slikk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:00 AM

How would I know if my video card is using some of my memory? thanks

#5 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

I should have explained that better. Does your motherboard have onboard video? If it does then that is where the RAM reduction would occur.

#6 Slikk1

Slikk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:15 AM

yes it does, thank you very much for your help. I guess I would have to buy more ram.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:37 AM

If you're using XP, the minimum is usually 512 mB. You can run on less, but you'll be constantly tweaking the system to keep it running well. Even with 512 mB you'll have to keep an eye on what's running so that it doesn't bog the system down.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:05 PM

I should have explained that better. Does your motherboard have onboard video? If it does then that is where the RAM reduction would occur.

But would the reduction be as large as what Slikk1 is experiencing?

My video card is: Integrated Intel 3D AGP 64 MB and I have 256 RAM which shows up as 256 RAM on the general tab on System Properties and as 254 on The Ultimate Troubleshooter hardware list. Live usage information does not show on the System Properties general tab. Obviously, when I look at free RAM, the figure is much lower, but that figure is not the one that Slikk1 posted since 192 is much too large for available RAM when 256 is supposed to be the total available.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 wahlroot

wahlroot

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

My computer is Compaq and came with 256 of RAM. The Video card uses 64MB of Ram which made it 192mb of RAM usable by the system. I added 512mb of RAM which gives 704MB of Ram usable. Works Fine.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

Generally video memory taken from the main RAM will conform to the bits/bytes that are associated with memory. In other words, it'll take one of the following amounts by default (depending on the video card's construction):

8 mB

As an aside - we're starting to experience 'bloat time' with Windows XP. Systems fresh out of the box will work well with 256 mB of RAM. But as time goes by, the bloat will make the system so slow that it will run at a snail's pace. The degree of bloat is closely linked to your software and internet habits (because that's where it comes from). Basically, the more stuff that's added to your system, the more bloated it becomes.

The solution is (basically) to remove all of the bloat or to add memory. Adding memory is the easiest, and removing the bloat isn't a one time job. It'll take constant monitoring to ensure that the bloat doesn't creep back in.

So the next step is (basically again) 512 mB. Here bloat won't affect you as much, but you'll still need to keep an eye on it - so it doesn't creep back and bite you in the butt! But it won't be as intensive a battle as it is with 256 mB.

And, as before, another solution is to upgrade to 1 gB of RAM. With 1 gB of RAM, the bloat mostly goes away (my wife has been running on 1 gB for a long time now and doesn't have any problems with bloat). Some maintenance is always needed - but with 1 gB it's not an "immediate" need.

Beyond 1gB - there are circumstances where this may be needed (I've got 2 gB on my system and am upgrading to 4 gB as soon as the RAM arrives (new system with Windows Vista).

If you do a lot of photo stuff, video stuff, AutoCAD, music stuff, etc. Or if you're a gamer - this bloat can affect your performance even with boatloads of RAM. This is because the programs that you're using consume boatloads of RAM - and they get to it after the bloat claims it's portion.

To see what's being consumed on your system (in a general way), go to Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Processes tab and look at the MemUsage column.

Also, just for yucks and giggles - got to the Performance tab. There you'll see a graph of how much your CPU is working, and in the lower right you'll see a table that states Physical Memory (that's your RAM) - it'll tell you how much you have, and how much is available.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:06 PM

And a pretty and fun way to see what is on your hard drive is to use Sequoia View available HERE.
Mousing over any of the blocks will give you a full title path so you can find anything on your system easily. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users