Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Alert

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:09 PM

Hi Everybody,

All of a sudden my Google toolbar stopped working, and then just up, and deleted its self when I had closed, and reopened my IE.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 Home Edition, and using IE 6.

Over the past several days I have had to re-download the Google toolbar seven or eight times a day. I don't know what's happening or why, all I know is that I'll have the Google toolbar when I close IE but when I open another one it'll be gone, and I'll have to go download it again.

I've used the add/remove feature in the control panel to completely remove it several times before I downloaded it again. Nothing changed. I've also tried downloading older versions like 2.0, and that didn't help either.

One other thing, I can't get the toolbar to open search results in a new window either. When I ran through the options, and checked the open in new window box the 'Go' button stopped working, and to be able to do a search I had to go back, and uncheck that box.

Is it just me or are other people having this problem?

Thanks for any advice,
Wendy

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 26 November 2006 - 08:11 PM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

Right click in any unused area in the toolbars at the top of your browser.

Do you see "Google Toolbar" in the menu that drops down?

What browser are you using?

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

Hi Enthusiast.

That was the first thing that I thought of, so I did that, and Goggle is just gone. I've been having to download it every time that I want to use it. I'm using IE 6. By the way, I just posted this thread too --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/73380/spybot-alert/ could it be related to my problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 26 November 2006 - 08:37 PM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

Hi Everybody,

I keep getting a message from SpyBot Search & Destroy saying 'User-specific browser toolbar Deleted ITBar7Layout' Can anyone tell me what that is?

Thanks for any advice,
Wendy

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

Found on the web. This might fix your problem.

http://blogs.imason.com/chris.chapman/arch...09/21/6532.aspx
Fix the position of Google toolbar in IE
Ever have this issue? You start up IE and your Google toolbar (or other favourite toolbar addin) isn't where it's supposed to be and no matter how you try to add and remove the items, it still doesn't look or behave correctly.

Me too. Really annoying.

Here's the fix: Open up regedt32 from Start->Run. Locate this registry key and delete it:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\ITBarLayout

Close all instances of IE down, re-launch and the toolbar(s) should now be in the right place!

Update: Sometimes it may be necessary to first disable or remove the errant toolbars before deleting the registry key in order to have the change take effect.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

This may have to do with the Spybot Alert (ITBar7Layout) that was described in your post in the XP forum.

Right click on the Spybot Resident icon in your system tray (near the clock - looks like a Windows page with a lock in its bottom left corner) and select "Show Log".

See what it shows relating to Google.

You may also want to open Spybot and search through it in its entirety - all categories - and see if Spybot is what is causing the Google toolbar to be blocked.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

I am going to try to merge these two topics to here - The Windows XP Forum - because I do think these are related and keeping multiple topics on the same problem open will be confusing.

It probably belongs in "All other applications" but I am not going to move both topics into a third as that would be utterly confusing, so it will remain here for the time being.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 November 2006 - 09:16 PM.

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hi Enthusiast,

Thanks for the hint. I checked in the SpyBot log, and there's a whole page of stuff related to Goggle, and I can't makes heads or tails of any of it.

It just shows where I keep downloading the toolbar, and it keeps deleting its self. Would it help if I posted some of that log on here for you to see?

That ITBar7Layout thingy is supposed to be hooked up with I7 isn't it? I don't have IE7, I have IE6 yet that sucker keeps popping up.

I tried what buddy215 suggested, followed the instructions on that link, deleted ITbarLayout, downloaded Godle's toolbar again, and Wa-La, it promptly deleted its self right before my eyes again.

I'll check into the settings in SpyBot S&D and see if something got changed with my last update, which was like two days ago.

This is down right discouraging I'm here to tell you.

Thanks,
Wendy

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

Just to double check. Did you close ALL instances of IE Browser before reinstalling Google Toolbar?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:12 PM

Hi buddy215,

I checked the box that said Goggle was going to close all IE browsers automatically, it did, and finished wherever it was doing.

Then I opened a new IE and watched as Goggle toolbar just politely deleted its self again. DRAT! This is troubling.

Thanks,
Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users