Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Server Setup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RufusMengletoes

RufusMengletoes

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:33 PM

I have a home network: 3 xp pro machines through a D-Link DI-624 router (one wired, two wireless). I connected an IOGear GPSU01 1-port usb print server via LAN 2 (wired). One wireless and the wired computer can access the network printer but the second wireless cannot. I used the same setup on all three machines, or at least I think I did. The network printer appears as the default printer, "online" and "ready" in the Printers and Faxes tab but I keep getting an error when trying to print from that particular machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 01:12 AM

Whats the error you are getting? And is the computer that is not working using the same workgroup as the other two computers?

#3 RufusMengletoes

RufusMengletoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:16 PM

Sorry for the delay. Not due to lack of interest but lack of time. Anyway...

When I open the active printer window when trying to print to the network printer the "status" changes from "printing" to "error-printing". The affected computer is in the same workgroup as the other two.

The affected computer can see and access the other computers on the network including the shared printer on the wired computer but not the print server. The other computers can see the affected computer on the network. When I try to explore the affected computer from one of the others I get the following error message:

\\Affected Computer is not acessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 05:33 PM

Make sure all three computers are in the same workgroup and the print server is configured for the same workgroup.

How do you connect to the print server? Via tcp/ip in microsoft networking or is there a particular piece of software oyu need to install.

Are the same user names and passwords set up on each computer?

#5 RufusMengletoes

RufusMengletoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:13 PM

All computers and the print server are in the same workgroup. The network uses TCP/IP to connect to the print server. I did not set up the network to require a username or password. I installed a program called PSadmin.exe to configure the print server on the network. That program was run seperately on each computer to create the port to which the computers connect to the print server.

On two computers this worked like a charm. Just this one computer can't connect. That computer can use folders and the shared printer on the wired computer and folders on the other wireless computer but neither of the others can access files on the problem computer. This makes me think that it is a network setup issue on the problem computer. Is there a way to remove the network setup from the problem computer and start over from scratch?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:15 PM

Does the problematic computer have a firewall enabled? Is it running XP SP 2?

#7 RufusMengletoes

RufusMengletoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:12 AM

The problem computer is XP Pro, SP2 and the XP firewall is on.

#8 RufusMengletoes

RufusMengletoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 09:13 AM

Grinler,

Thanks for your help this and other times. Your question about the presence of a firewall on the problem computer was the whack upside the head I needed. I set this computer up for my daughter and enabled the XP firewall but didn't allow any exceptions for local area network traffic.

Thanks!

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:15 AM

Glad it all worked out!

Sp2 automatically turns on the firewall so had a feeling it may be that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users