Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Salvador Dali

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jambo247

jambo247

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

Widely considered to be greatly imaginative, Dalí had an affinity for doing unusual things to draw attention to himself.
This sometimes irked those who loved his art as much as it annoyed his critics, since his eccentric manner sometimes drew more public attention than his artwork.
The purposefully sought notoriety led to broad public recognition and many purchases of his works by people from all walks of life.

His fascination with ants has a strange explanation. When Dalí was a young boy he had a pet bat. One day he discovered his bat dead, covered in ants. He thus developed a fascination with and fear of ants.

Dalí was a colorful and imposing presence in his ever-present long cape, walking stick, haughty expression, and upturned waxed mustache.
The entertainer Cher and her husband Sonny Bono, when young, came to a party at Dalí's expensive residence in New York's Plaza Hotel and were startled when Cher sat down on an oddly-shaped sexual vibrator left in an easy chair.
When signing autographs for fans, Dalí would always keep their pens.
When interviewed by Mike Wallace on his Sixty Minutes televison show, Dalí kept referring to himself in the third person, and told the startled Mr. Wallace matter-of factly that "Dalí is immortal and will not die".
During another television appearance, on the Tonight Show, Dali carried with him a leather rhinoceros and refused to sit upon anything else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:56 AM

I've never seen any of his work, that I know of, but he sounds like his elevator didn't go to the top floor. If you know what I mean... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:16 AM

I don't know that much about him but my wife has a book of his works and we have a few posters framed in our house. Actually, I think that most artists of his caliber had elevators that went above the top floor. In a sense, he was correct when he said he would not die.

#4 drivingmecrazy

drivingmecrazy

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

Whatever Dali was in life his work cannot be ignored. There is no way that one can look at a Dali painting, his pottery or sculpture and just think 'that's nice'. He almost mesmerises you into looking further because his work virtually always has weird elements.

I have been to a few Dali Exhibitions and was lucky enough to visit the main Dali museum in Figueres, Spain. This is a surreal building with eggs on the roof so you get a taster for what's inside (and out). Dali helped design its layout and it shows, from the ceiling painting of the underside of feet to the car outside that lets rain in and has a statue 'plonked' on the bonnet. There is a surprise round every corner.

One of the books I have shows his art from concept drawing through changes to the finished work. Fascinating stuff because you can see that he often started off with traditional fine art and transformed it into the surreal.

Magic! He's my favourite artist. He may have been a completely bonkers but I think his madness was his genius.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:29 AM

There is an excellent article at the link below.I enjoyed the read.
Also shows the museum that drivingmecrazy refered to in Spain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador_Dal%C3%AD

Edited by DSTM, 27 November 2006 - 09:30 AM.

#6 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:37 AM

I've never seen any of his work, that I know of, but he sounds like his elevator didn't go to the top floor. If you know what I mean... :thumbsup:

He's an artist, of course it didn't. My personal view of any artist is that they are all pretty egotistical, and that they think they are absolutely the most important person in the world. They seem to think that without art the world would be nothing, I tend to disagree, I find art (especially abstract) to be pretty meaningless and absolutely useless to any aspect of society. Looking at these paintings and sculptures he did I have to say, I don't get it. They don't make any sense to me at first glance, and would certainly have to be explained to me..
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

He's an artist, of course it didn't. My personal view of any artist is that they are all pretty egotistical, and that they think they are absolutely the most important person in the world. They seem to think that without art the world would be nothing, I tend to disagree, I find art (especially abstract) to be pretty meaningless and absolutely useless to any aspect of society. Looking at these paintings and sculptures he did I have to say, I don't get it. They don't make any sense to me at first glance, and would certainly have to be explained to me..

Yup, must agree that having to have a piece of art explained does seem to leave something lacking - sort of like the 'King and his clothes' story when I was a child - but there are many that seem to understand this stuff and willing to pay huge amounts for it, as well. (For myself, a piece of art that touches my heart and makes me smile each time I look at it is 'art' - a red blob on a canvas, well, enough said - grin).

Personally, I suspect I would have found this man very annoying - if only because when someone refers to himself as the "the Dali" rather than as 'I', I'd be tempted to think his ego is either extremely king-sized or the poor man surely needed some mental help.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 drivingmecrazy

drivingmecrazy

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:23 PM

Dali was completely off his rocker, totally certifiable and, if some of the stories about him are true he wasn't a very nice man either!

The reason I like his art is because it makes me grin. (Tried to quote you MaraM but me and quotes are having problems). It's so off the wall that it's fascinating. I don't understand it but it doesn't matter and some of the magic would go if some academic told me what I should be looking at. Some of his paintings are totally bizarre but others, my favourites...

http://www.artsforge.com/agallery/weanfurn.jpg

http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/1...Cross-10401.jpg

http://www.canvasreplicas.com/images/Port%...ador%20Dali.jpg

What do you think?

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:54 AM

Okay, you got me, drivingmecrazy - hoot! - gotta admit I actually like the last two! Think that's what so great about art in itself - different art touches us in different ways and while I may not like most of his art, I sure respect others right to enjoy it the same way that some like apples and some like oranges - no right or wrong, just simply different. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the quote woe either - I have the same problem and simply 'cut and paste' the applicable words/sentences I want to use as 'quotes' directly into my response. (Our Moderators and the other members here are honestly very tolerant of us that are still struggling to learn computer magic - gentle smile).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:21 AM

I had problems with quotes and useing more than one quote in a post.TG1911 was kind enought to write a mini tutorial just recently and it can be found in the link below.
Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70929/how-to-reply-to-a-topic-using-multiple-quotes/

DSTM.

#11 drivingmecrazy

drivingmecrazy

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:21 AM

Don't worry about the quote woe either - I have the same problem and simply 'cut and paste' the applicable words/sentences I want to use as 'quotes' directly into my response. (Our Moderators and the other members here are honestly very tolerant of us that are still struggling to learn computer magic - gentle smile).

Well, what a superstar I am! Thanks to DSTM's post I can now use quotes - trouble is I deleted the wrong part of your post, Maram! Even so, progress indeed. What wasn't obvious to me is that you press the quote button instead of pressing add reply and then you are taken to the edit page which has the (whole) post there ready to edit and add to. Think I'll wait a while before I start multi-quoting!

Anyway, just pretend the quote was about you liking some of the Dali paintings, MaraM, and that I was going to reply that I'm really pleased because it is so easy to dismiss all his work because the most well known are the dripping clocks, ants etc. I guess that makes me an ersatz Dali fan because I like the most normal of the bizarre.

OMG I'm beginning to sound as mad as Dali - time to go!

Edited by drivingmecrazy, 28 November 2006 - 05:51 AM.

#12 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

Dali, for me, it's a genius.
This painting, posted by drivingmecrazy, is the one.
Christ.
Regards,
Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#13 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

We were so fortunate to be able to spent the better part of a day at the Dali Exhibition in London,England a couple of years ago.
Were mesmerized by his work...amazed how it was able to symbolize life in it's own strange way.
Very imaginative and truly a Genius and maybe even a bit mad,he most certainly influenced art in the 20th century.

My favorite piece?.....Way too many great ones to choose from.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#14 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

I wasn't sure who Dali was, until I noticed this painting on one of the posted links.

My personal view of any artist is that they are all pretty egotistical, and that they think they are absolutely the most important person in the world.

kbk, I think that anyone who receives a great deal of attention for his/her work, regardless of the field, can become egotistical. Musicians, politicians, artists, you name it. Even Isaac Newton, from every account I have read, was a big jerk. :thumbsup:

I think that part of the problem is that we "worship" individuals as heroes too easily. Instead of focusing on the work itself, we elevate individuals to super-human status. Somehow everything the famous folks do becomes "news." Who cares what Mr. Actor had for breakfast? They put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us...

They seem to think that without art the world would be nothing, I tend to disagree, I find art (especially abstract) to be pretty meaningless and absolutely useless to any aspect of society.

I have to disagree with you on this point. I think that art, along with music and literature are all different forms of human expression. I think life is enriched because of them. It would be a dull world indeed without any color, creativity, flavor, individuality…without any expression at all!

But then, when it comes to art, I am no expert either. As the old saying goes, art and wine...I don't know much about them, but I know what I likes...
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#15 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:03 AM

Nice link DSTM, now I recognize a couple of things. He was extremely talented, but I'm still not sure about his sanity. He clearly looked at things differently than I ever did or do. But I do like some of his work. The Christ is really good, had to look at it for a minute to figure it out.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users