Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 talon95

talon95

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hi, new to the form, name is Jamie, I built my computer 2 years or so ago, let me go over the specs real quick. and the problem etc.

Amd althon proceser 3.0 socket 754, (originally had a 3.2 in it, however I just purchased it because I thought the cpu was the problem for it not starting.)
k8nha 1.0 bio star mainboard.
512 mb sticks of ram x2.
geforce 6600 video card (originally 5700, purchased because I figured it was this, and wanted a newer one anyway lol, didnt solve the problem either).
164 gb hardrive hitachi, also have 160 gb samsung.
cd/dvd read/write drive.
floppy drive.

I've gone through every single part inside the computer cleaned out dust and reattached properly, I'm running out of ideas what it could be, power supply seems fine.

Basically I turn on the power button, monitor light stays yellow, screen is blank, computer has a series of long consistant beeps, continous.

I'm really just down to the mainboard but I figured I would check to see if anyone has had a problem similar, I've tested 3 different video cards in it, same thing, tried some 512 sticks out of my other computer same problem. I dont figured if anyone has an idea other then the thing i'm trying to avoid which is replacing the mainboard lol.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Jamie

edit - sorry yes I swapped it out with my other computer, i appologize forgot to mention that.

Edited by talon95, 26 November 2006 - 06:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

I've gone through every single part inside the computer cleaned out dust and reattached properly, I'm running out of ideas what it could be, power supply seems fine.

No offense what have you done to confirm the PSU is fine. Have you checked it with a volt meter? Have you swapped it out with a new good unit?

I'd try a swap out if you have a spare PSU. The other thing is to check the motherboard for swollen or leaking capacitors. If that is the case then you've got a bad mobo.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

Have you ensured that the CPU, the video card, and the RAM are seated properly? Take a close look and see if it looks right. Most common problem (in my experience) is improperly seated RAM - it takes a bit of pushing to get it fully into some of the slots.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:27 AM

I agree with USASMA about the memory, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be duff.
Just one point, can you count the 'beeps' and see how many there are and if they are long or short.
i.e. Repeating short beeps = Power Supply problem.
1 Long 2 Short = Display Adapter problem. Etc...

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

Award BIOS Beep Codes:

1 long, 2 short - Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information
Any other beep(s) - RAM problem.

Computer POST / Beep Codes
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

I was quoting from here:-
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml :thumbsup:

I've used it before and it has helped me out okay.

All the best, Layor. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users