Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate For Help! Starwin32.exe?!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 karlravioli

karlravioli

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 04:28 PM

help me!!!!!!!!!!!
i have a pc running windows xp and it's running slow as crap and is always at 100% CPU.
i looked under task manager (which is the only program it will run without taking forever and then quitting)=> processes and i think it might be starwin32.exe which usually takes up anywhere between 43 - 99% CPU Usage.
i tried downloading Prevx1 but that just makes it worse so i have to end that process every time i turn the computer on and it doesn't work at all.
i have some pretty important files on there like HTML files for my old website (it's been so long since i wrote those that i 4got how to do a lot of HTML), skits (movie files) that i spent countless hours editing, and guitar tablature for songs for my band (some of the songs that we havent worked on yett that i forgot how to play parts of them because of the new stuff we've been writing) and i really don't want to loose them.
i've tried spy-bot and ad-aware in the past before it became totally unuseably like it is now and they took hours to run a scan wehn they're usually done in minits and now there's no way they'll run now.
so i'm pretty much screwed right now and i'd try anything besides wiping out my entire hard drive.
any help at all would be greatly appreciated as i am desperate :thumbsup:

thankx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

Hi karlravioli,

Look up at the top left of this page, see that little blue '?' that says --> Do you have popups or other malware infecting your computer? If so, Start Here!

Click that link, and follow all of the instructions that you fine there Boo. Did you run your SpyBot Search & Destroy in safe mode? Try running all of your ad/spyware programs in safe mode, sometimes that makes a heck of a difference in whet they find.

But follow that link up there, thats where the pros will help you with your troubles.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 karlravioli

karlravioli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:30 PM

thnkx, i'll try that but i won't b able to get back to you untill monday or tuesday :thumbsup:

Edited by karlravioli, 01 December 2006 - 03:31 PM.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:22 PM

Hi karlravioli,

Hey no problem I just hope that what I suggested works well for you as it always does for me.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

According to the BC StartupDatabase, it is "added by the W32/Rbot-FNT worm and IRC backdoor."
Update your resident Anti-virus, and scan your hard drive in Safe Mode. Reply with any error messages you might get from the AV attempt to quarantine the malware files.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

You have a serious infection. Backdoor Trojans can be dangerours. If your computer was used for online banking or has credit card information on it, all passwords should be changed immediately. You should consider them to be compromised. I suggest you change them by using a different computer and not the infected one. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breech. Because your computer was compromised please read How to report ID theft, fraud, drive-by installs, hijacking and malware.

There is a specialized HackerDefender tool for removing this infection but your probably going to need help with cleaning your system. Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. About half way down are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 karlravioli

karlravioli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

thankx, i realy appreciate the help :thumbsup:
i'm currently running the Trend Micro Housecall
if this doesn't work i'll try the other suggestions and post back
thankx

#8 karlravioli

karlravioli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

everytime i do the Housecall anti virus thing (in firefox) it runs for a while an dthen just automatically closes itself
it's done this about 3 times already
what could be causing this?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

Could be the malware causing a problem. As I said this is a nasty infection. Best to post your log for assistance with removing it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 karlravioli

karlravioli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •