Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loadadv64.exe And Setup.exe(limewire Thing)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HackSign

HackSign

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

Alright, I've had my computer for about a year now. A few months ago, i got a virus from Limewire(or at least i think its a virus?), that as long as my computer was on, it would pop-open Limewire. I uninstalled Limewire, and it still tried popping it up, but instead would give a Java error. I noticed in the TaskManager for Applications, it was Setup.exe, which i End-Task'ed. Then I'd End-Task the limewire process, so not much of a problem there.

Either this Thursday or Friday i got a really annoying virus. Usually I use MSN for chatting. My friend sent me a message that was like "Hey is this you? [link to jpg file here]"(not sure on the wording). Clicked on the link. The image downloaded some sort of MS-DOS thing(judging by the icon of it) onto my computer. (Little hesitant, but...) I clicked it. Then, some visualbasic window opened up, my MSN buddy list unminimized, and started sending the same message i had received from my friend, to all my online buddies. Zomg :thumbsup:.

I checked my Processes and i found some names of loadadv64.exe, Updater.exe, and winstall.exe. Located these, found their folders, and tried deleting. Turns out it didn't work, and i heard from my friend its a rootkit. So...I'm basically lost, and i need some help >_< None of my antivirus stuff works anymore, all of it has expired.

What do I do?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

Hi HackSign,Welcome You need to post a HiJackThis log .. follow these instructions carefully Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log , then post it HERE by clicking New Topic

btw did you notice if liNewire or LiMewire that you downloaded or was it from an item that you downloaded off there service?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 HackSign

HackSign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:16 PM

LiMewire. Yeah, I don't remember what I had downloaded, but i remember it would make a whole list of files for download from me, which gave me a really large list of hits, as there were thousands of entries and would come up on practically every search.

The HijackThis log is this page

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

Don't install that Everest until they're done with your HJ log..
You my even clesr up the image problem once they get all that other stuff clearred up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

Sorry to interrupt but I have an almost identical problem caused by download of a sent file over msn as a picture which then replicated and sends itself to my contacts. Its probably a sweeping virus over the msn messenger network. Perhaps I could use the same advice?

My posted symptoms - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/73505/888bar-and-smitfraud/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users