Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Won't Complete Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Larry1510

Larry1510

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

I formated my "c" drive and reinstalled xp pro SP2.This was done on another comp.everything went smooth until i put the hard drive back in the old computer.when it boots it does a proper boot up until verifying DMI pool it then goes to a startup screen saying win didn't start successfully and has 5 options "safe mod,safe mod with networking,s/m with com prompt,last known good config,and start normally.every option starts and the comp locks up.and must be powered off and on to try restart.

Edited by Larry1510, 26 November 2006 - 12:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

You need to do a repair install because you loaded the OS on a different system. This is causing a conflict due to it trying to run on different hardware.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Larry1510

Larry1510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 03:33 PM

TheTerrorist_75

followed inst.as per your url now i get cannot boot from cd code 5

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

The easiest thing here would be to format and reinstall XP. That way, you'll eliminate these funky errors popping up every couple of minutes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

You really need to do the installation in the computer itself - not install Windows in another computer and transfer the hard drive.

First of all, the registry and boot files will be all wrong - set for the other computer and as you have found out, you will have problems (and continuing problems) even if you might get it to boot to Windows. The files that the installation sets up to activate XP will also be wrong - based on the wrong hardware, with the wrong mac numbers, etc.

What did you use to format and "re-install" XP? A Windows Full Installation cd, a manufacturer's Recovery cd?

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:45 PM

again as mentioned above reinstall will be the best avenue. This in my experience has been a issue with the LSASS.EXE file. This deals with all of the local security and settings information. This is still used when booted with any mode. I Have used a boot CD in the passed to recover the files and transfer them onto a USB HD or Flash drive. UBCD ver 4 or otherwise known as Ultimate Boot CD Ver 4. This has the tools to boot a XP system from CD and allow the copying of files onto a external drive. These sort of issues are the reason why people should use backup drives to make sure these issues can be restored if they happen.
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

There are times that a repair installation of Windows will fix these issues - but once you start getting hardware errors (the CD error 5 is one of those), it's best to bite the bullet and just do it over again. Otherwise you'll be fighting strange errors until the cows come home. :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Larry1510

Larry1510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

I'd like to thank all who tried to help,I guess the drive is beyond recovery.I ethier get the code 5 error or wrong Dos version,so i can't get a partition that will work.

Larry

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

Try a low-level reformat of the drive (usually available for free from the drive manufacturer's website) before giving up on the drive. Also, they'll have tools (also free) that will assess the status of the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users