Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"no Operating System Found"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 raimie

raimie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:45 AM

Computer turns on and and displays gateway logo then switches to black screen with message "no operating system found". How do I fix? Can I just reinstall windows disk or do I need DOS disk? Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

That is usually a sign of a hard disk failure.

DO you have a Dos boot disk? Can you boot with it and see drive C: ? Can you get a directory? Does your system make any new weird noise like a clanging sound or a clicking sound?

Do you know what brand of hard drive is in the system. Most Gateway's tend to have Maxtor drives or Quantum drives(now owned by Maxtor).

If you can find out what brand hard drive you can download a diagnostic disk for that brand drive and test it for problems.

I suspect you have a new door stop, paperweight, boat anchor.... you get the idea. :thumbsup:
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

This could also be due to a bad/loose IDE cable, bad IDE controller/IDE controller driver or bad/loose 4-pin molex power plug to the hard drive.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 raimie

raimie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

ok thanks, thought I might be able to salvage it but sounds like probably not. How hard is it to remove the cdrom/dvd drive? Do u think its worth the effort? Or should I just toss the whole thing and save some headaches lol?

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:16 PM

I would open it up and check to see if any connections are loose first. Pull and reseat the IDE cables and 4-pin molex power connectors to the drives. If this doesn't work install new IDE cables, they're cheap. If that doesn't work than the troubleshooting will be narrowed to the hard drive, drivers or motherboard.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:17 PM

ok thanks, thought I might be able to salvage it but sounds like probably not. How hard is it to remove the cdrom/dvd drive? Do u think its worth the effort? Or should I just toss the whole thing and save some headaches lol?

Not so fast. This can be a virus or a corrupted boot sector. I'd try to boot off a Windows 98 boot disk and see if you can see your drive. Checking your cables is also sound advice.

Also the bios may need to be reset.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#7 raimie

raimie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

Thank you for the advice will try them out when I get a chance :thumbsup:

#8 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

Computer turns on and and displays gateway logo then switches to black screen with message "no operating system found". How do I fix? Can I just reinstall windows disk or do I need DOS disk? Please help.

You haven't been in the BIOS and changed the boot sequence have you?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

Have you checked your BIOS to see if your hard drive is still present? When was the last time you changed the BIOS (Motherboard) battery? A bad battery can cause your BIOS to randomly not see your hard drive. The battery looks like a watch battery (about the size of a nickel or quarter) and is mounted in a holder on the motherboard.

Posted Image
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users