Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Has Decided To Stop Recognising External Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

The title pretty well says it all, every piece of technology i own seems to be going wrong at the moment! I have a 250gb western digital drive connected via USB. Plugged it in this morning like normal and hey presto it doesnt appear in my computer, or disk management console. However, it does appear on the safely remove hardware list, and it does appear under disk drives in device manager.

Initially device manager said no drivers were installed, so i clicked update driver and it didnt find anything, but it had details of microsofts disk drive driver. So i cliked not to search and i will choose what to install, clicked the microsoft one (the only thing in the list) and after an age it eventaully installed. Now in device management it says the device is working properly. However, it clearly isnt, and it does not show up in my computer or disk management, (or partition magic 8). This is utterly bizzarre, i dont know what could have caused it and i am at a loss as to how to fix it.

I have also tried downloading some driver from the western digital website, but that just produces a folder with 4 subfolders in it, one of which is winxp, so i clicked that and it contains 3 files (none executable) so i dont know what to do with them. Im not even sure if they are the actual things i need!

Can anyone shed some light on this mysterious failure?

All help much appreciated, as always!
Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

Have you had the drive working before or is this the first time you have used it?
Layor

#3 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

had it working fine for about a year. Suddenly this morning it decided it wasnt gonna do nethin.

#4 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

Bear with me!
Have you tried to connect anything else to the same USB port since the drive failed?
The reason I'm asking is that it could be the port that's at fault.
Layor.

#5 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

Following Layor 's suggestion about checking if another USB device works in the same USB port where the 250GB Western Digital drive failed should eliminate or point to the USB port itself as the point of failure.

There are several other diagnostic steps that you can take:
  • Try your external 250GB Western Digital drive in another USB port.
  • If you have access to another PC that is USB equipped, try plugging the external 250GB Western Digital drive in to that system and see if it is recognized. This should eliminate or point to the drive/enclosure as the point of failure.
Besides the possibility that there is a failure within the external USB connected drive or the USB port itself, the thing that struck me about your initial posting was the statement "Plugged it in this morning like normal and hey presto it doesnt appear in my computer, or disk management console." The contacts on USB plugs/sockets appear to me to be rather delicate and I personally try not to plug/unplug USB devices repetitively for this reason. If you are plugging/unplugging continually into/out of the same USB port or connector from the device, check the contacts.

#6 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:16 PM

i took the external casing apart today and found a small tear in the little ribbon cable which connects the drive to the little usb circuit board thing. This is the cause of the problem, as i have taken the large ribbon cable out of my desktop and it works ok with that. I just need to find a new ribbon cable that is only 1.5" long so i can fit it all back in the case!

#7 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

Well done!!
At least you have now sorted the problem even if you have not got a permanent solution yet!

All the best, Layor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users