Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-rw Won't Read Data Or Audio

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Licorne98

Licorne98

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:08 AM

First off, thank you so much for having this forum! And, if this topic was already addressed elsewhere, I did go through 15 pages of topics looking before I posted.

I got a custom computer in August 2006. I'm running XP SP 2. I think it is the Home Edition.

With my Sony DVD-RW, I got Power DVD and Nero 6.

Up to this point, I've only watched DVDs on my computer and it has worked beautifully. Yesterday, I tried to insert an audio CD so that I could convert it for my iPod and I discovered that my DVD-RW won't even recognize a CD is in there! I have also tried to view photographs from CDs and it won't read that, either. Then, just for fun, I tried to insert my digital camera CD and it wouldn't do that.

I used Nero Info Tool and it tells me that this drive is able to do everything I tried.
I asked Windows device manager to update the driver and they tell me it's up to date, and it says the device is working properly. I also checked out the audio tab and it is supposed to be working. I updated the firmware for the drive. I just ran a liveone scan on my computer and fixed the problems it found.

I opened the case. It is the only thing running on this IDE cable, it is plugged into the only IDE plug. It has the power in firmly, and it is the master.

Yesterday, I uninstalled the drive. Windows found it again and reinstalled. Still no audio or data recognition.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

Laptop or desktop. What make/model is the system (or the mobo) and what make/model is the DVD drive?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

I had this problem with my old computer also. I never figured it out.

I noticed though if I put the CD in a special way on a certain angle then it would work.

It takes forever, but if you really want it to work try it.

#4 Licorne98

Licorne98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

Oh the drama! :thumbsup: I took the CD-RW out of my old computer and put it as slave to the DVD-RW so I could at least get some things intalled. Well, with the first reboot, it recognized the CD-RW but the DVD still didn't work. So, I rebooted again and got "BOOT FAILURE..."!! I'm thinking how am I going to get Windows to recover this if it won't read a CD?!

I unplugged both drives completely, then set the CD to master, the DVD to slave, used a different IDE and plugged it back into power and the board. I crossed my fingers and then the computer booted up like nothing had ever happened.

The DVD still won't read audio or data, but heck, I've got the CD working and it boots and that's good enough for me.

Still interested if anybody knows how I can make the DVD work.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

Have you tried a hammer? (just kidding) I'd suspect that the DVD drive is dead or dying.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:15 AM

Hammer!!!!! No way!!!
Oxyacetylene is far more reliable!! ;)

Edited by Layor, 27 November 2006 - 04:19 AM.

#7 Licorne98

Licorne98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:44 AM

I was thinking that the drive could be used as a rock to skip across a river, or I could drop it from the highest point possible and measure the damage.

The computer is an AMD Athalon 64 (I think. I'm not near it right now). The DVD is a Sony DW-Q120A born in June 2006.

#8 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:44 PM

Sheesh!!, the things some people will go to in the interest of science!

I know it will probably not make the slightest bit of difference, but....
Have you tried both drives on CS. (Cable Select)???
You said that you had set the CD to Master and the DVD to slave, so I presume that they were the other way around before?
But, as USASMA said, the DVD drive is probably 'brown bread!
Layor.

#9 Licorne98

Licorne98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

I will give that a shot tomorrow. As long as I know it works the master/slave way, I'll try whatever.

On a side note, why did my case fan kick the bucket???? I guess it couldn't handle all the stress from the talk of skipping DVDs. Do they just keel over often?

#10 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:31 PM

I've just re-read your comments and noticed that the DVD is only about six months old. Is there a warranty on it?

#11 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

If you can confirm that it will read DVDs but not any kind of CD, then it's likely that the CD reading laser on the drive is defective. DVD drives actually have separate lasers to read each, since there's a big difference between the track width of a CD and DVD.

RMA the sucker if possible, but yeah, sounds like it needs to be replaced one way or another.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users