Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Trying To Boot Over & Over - Harddrive Bad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lohryx5

lohryx5

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

Just got back from a 7 month deployment overseas. Wife says the computer (Medion, Windows XP Home, 3.2GHz Pentium IV Hyper-Thread, 512 DDR SDRAM, dual layer DVD/CD+/-RW x2, no floppy) not sure what else might help) would randomly restart on its own and boot back up. This got progressively worse during the past week. Uninstalled a bunch of Nikelodian flash games the kids had downloaded. Yesterday, I updated Spybot and Ad-Aware, ran them, and cleaned up a few other things.

Then, for no reason, the computer shut off. The Microsoft logo came up (the blue bar got half way across), I saw the "blue screen" for a split second, then the following options came up for restarting:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Start Windows Normally (last known good configuration)

I started with Start Normally, no joy. Proceeded through the other three options, no joy. Can't even get in through Safe Mode. If I let it count down the 30 seconds, it will just keep trying to boot and never get there. I F8 in Advanced Options during the next boot attempt and none of those options worked either. I did Disable the auto restart so I could see what error codes came up on the "blue screen." This is what I got (minus the text that preceeds it talking about power interruption and other possible reasons for the restarts).

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x823790B0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I tried to use the System Recovery disk that came with the computer to boot from it. When selecting CD-ROM it gives me these choices:

1. Recovery of Startup Files
2. Recovery of System & Driver Files
3. Restoring Factory Settings
4. Reboot

Option 1 didn't work. It keeps starting over and asks if I want to boot from the Hard Drive or the CD-ROM. Just a neverending circle. Option 2, no joy, didn't do much. And I'd prefer not to restore to factory settings or anything that will require me to format my harddrive at this point. I have too many family pictures and personal files that I can't afford to lose, especially since none of them have been backed up to disk in the 7 months that I was away.

Appreciate any help.
V/R,
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:06 AM

John,

At this point the first thing you need to do is back up all those family photos and other important data.

The best way to do this is to power off your computer and physically remove the hard drive from your computer, change the jumper setting, and install it temporarily in another Windows computer as a "Slave" drive.

The helper computer also must be running WinXP, because your C:\ drive is probably formatted with the NTFS file system.

Then you can start up the helper computer and use its functioning Windows system to copy your files to the Master (boot) drive, or burn them to CDs.

Once you have your data saved you can proceed to troubleshoot your Windows installation.

If you need help with the backup, post back here or in the Hardware forum.

Good luck,

Dave

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:24 AM

The STOP 0x24 error is an error with the NTFS file system on your hard drive. As DaveM59 says - backup your stuff immediately! http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x24

If you can't get into the system - stop trying. If the disk is damaged this may corrupt some of your files.

You could also get a USB drive caddy for the disk - then you'll be able to plug it into another system fairly easily.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 lohryx5

lohryx5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:07 PM

I'm currently at work and won't be able to try any of these recommendations until tomorrow, but I appreciate the help. I don't really have access to a doner computer. Can I instead buy a hard drive, install it in place of the original, put Windows XP on it, and then slave the original to it or use the USB Drive Caddy as mentioned? I've heard mention of Knoppix in other threads, will this help or is it useless in my case? Also, any idea why this would be random at first and then suddenly become a constant problem? Thanks again.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

Try the Knoppix if you're familiar with it - it'll let you check the disk on your system.

Buying a new hard drive is a bit of overkill right now - since you don't know for sure that it's dead yet.

You can also go the website of the hard drive manufacturer and download their diagnostic tools. Get the one's that use their own boot disk/CD so that you can boot straight into the diagnostics.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 lohryx5

lohryx5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:52 PM

USASMA & DaveM59,

Thanks for both of your help...looks like I've got a couple of bad caps on my mother board. They're not completely blown or anything, but the vent tops are definitely leaking and a bit puffed up. Since mine is a Medion M3 Composer 5300, the mobo (can't remember model # right now) was made only for Medion by MicroStar and Medion wants about $260 for a new one. So that's just not going to happen. I haven't been able to find any cheap towers being sold on ebay that I can rob a mobo from for now. I may send it to the Bad Caps sight if they can fix it. Of course, this gives me a perfect excuse to start looking at building a new computer. :thumbsup:

Of course, that opens up a whole new batch of things I have to research. Since I've been out of the country, and basically out of the loop, for so long...I'm pretty clueless. Vista's coming out, not sure if it's worthwhile or not, DirectX 10 is coming out, same thing. Quad-core cpus? And I know some of the hardware I spring for is going to be essential to running either of these, or possibly, others in the future. Decisions, decisions....

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

I just built a new system - luckily just before my old one died!

The decision making process is a lot of work - but it's worth it in the long run.

It depends on what you want the system to do. If you're happy with XP, there's no "need" to upgrade to Vista. But, as time marches on more and more will be adapted for Vista.

Microsoft will still strive to provide backwards compatibility, but the same can't be said of the software writers. So what you plan to do in the future will determine what your decisions are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users