Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Connection Dying Repeatedly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nomad55

nomad55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hi All,

My wireless connection has been working fine for some time (Dell Wireless), but in the last couple of weeks has developed a glitch that I can't identify.

When I log on the Internet connection is fine, but in anywhere from about 5 seconds to 5 minutes the connection dies, even though all the indicators continue to say that the connection is fine/active. I can repair the connection, but then it dies again in the same way. The usual time to failure is between 60 and 120 seconds.

I'm convinced the problem is at the OS level, as when the link fails I can no longer connect to my wireless router either.

At no time do any of the connection indicators in the system tray recognise that there's an error.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe some patch was released 2-3 weeks ago that may be causing this problem...

FYI, I'm still running the XP Home that originally came with my Dell XPS Gen 4.

I'm completely stumped at this point; any help will be seriously appreciated.
Cheers,
nomad.

"On the Internet, no-one knows if you're a dingo."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

I would first check that you are running the most upto date patches for XP. This sounds like it maybe a driver related on connection to wireless related issue rather than the Router / DSL provider.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 cesar666

cesar666

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hi, have you installed or upgraded any antivirus software?
they sometimes cause problems with wireless connections. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users