Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Not Booting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:42 AM

K, i got some PC knowledge, but i am baffled. Got a Toshiba portege 7200 sries. Had XP Pro SP2 had it for 2 weeks. had e trust antivirus, spybot, and the works. been working great, last couple days h/d been slow, then, I got home tonight, was on for 2 minutes, it crashed, when it rebooted, got to the xp screen with the bars going, after that, reboot again. I reinstalled xp, took forever to format the hard drive. After reinstall. got to xp screen, bars moved, then rebooted. It took 4 ever to format the drive. the blue screen came so fast, couldn't write the error message down. I think the hard drive went. Please Help, its not my PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 04:41 PM

Could be a virus, could be a bad hard drive - could be a lot of other things also. I'd suggest slaving the hard drive to another system (or using a USB drive caddy) to scan it for malware and to see if you can recover your stuff.

There's may be some utilities available at the hard drive manufacturer's website that will let you boot to a diagnostic program that they developed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

You say it isn't your Computer but after Formating the hard drive the only thing I can think of is to check your CPU fan and or Mother Board.
Posted Image

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:02 PM

I would see if you can boot from a external device and run a program called HDTUNE. THis will check for errors on the HD. I believe this could be your issue.
Posted Image

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

How did you re-install XP?

Did you use a recovery disk that came with that laptop, a Windows XP Installation cd that came with that computer or something else?

How did you install the Toshiba proprietal drivers (if you used anything but a Toshiba Recovery cd supplied with that particular computer when it was new)?

Can you boot in safe mode and do you hear fans running as the laptop boots?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users