Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Instantly And Randomly Loses Power

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joekunt

joekunt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

Hi I was just wondering if any of you have encountered, or know of a solution to fix the following problem.

My computer instantly and randomly loses power for no apparent reason, it is as if someone is yanking the power lead out or turning it off from the wall, and at the worst i cant turn my computer on for aslong as it wants it boots for sometimes 4-5 seconds sometimes a minute then turns off as forementioned.
Is it just my power supply or something more serious?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

my comp os 2.8ghz pentium 4 running win xp professional sp2
the problem is not due to temp problems not bios problems as i have reset them manually not a virus as i have erased hard drive and put a clean copy of win and problem isn't fixed, which also means it couldnt be to lagging because of a full h/d

Edited by joekunt, 25 November 2006 - 11:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

Probably the supply.
It's the quickest and usually the least expensive replacement.
Maybe you can switch it out with one temporarily to check.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:35 AM

Another thing to check is the power cord. I had one go bad on me, the end that plugs into the computer, the metal contacts inside the cord were bad. If you have another cord, try using it and see if that helps. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 joekunt

joekunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:50 AM

not cord ive tried i think it is the supply dont have a spare but might as well buy another one i was hoping it was ,ifso atleast its not gona be expensive.

cheers guys.
the responses were quick seems you have a good community here.
thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users