Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If You're Planning To Buy A Tv For Christmas

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:37 PM

WAIT,,, that is if you're considering LCD, HDTV, or Plasma anyway.
Should be by next year there'll be a whole new and better technology. Laser,with these enticing qualities. The clarity appears significant. Reminds me of when I purchased my Wega set.It was a vast improvement in picture clarity.

be half the weight and cost of Plasma or LCD displays
require 75% less power than Plasma or LCD displays
be very thin like Plasma and LCD displays are today
have a very wide colour gamut
have a 50,000 hour life

that's 23 years at 6 hours a day :thumbsup:
Laser TV

Forget plasma and LCD TV - the Laser TV is coming!

Instead of using a DLP (digital light processing) chip, or an electron gun as used in 'regular' CRT (cathode ray tube), or the display technologies used in LCD (liquid crystal display) or plasma TV technology, Arasor have developed a laser display engine to beam images onto your screen, with astounding benefits, including an incredibly rich colour range far exceeding conventional plasma and LCD TVs.

:flowers: :trumpet:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

I was saving for a DLP set or LCOS set which is better than a DLP.

I wonder how much it will cost when it comes out and what resolution it will have compared to a nice LCOS or DLP set?

I mean LCD and DLP sets look GREAT next in HDTV next to old analog.

Half the cost makes it sound cheap but will it really be cheaper than a lcd? I mean it is new and all.

Its kinda like computers. If you want to keep up with the best you have to pay for it.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:17 AM

I wonder how much it will cost when it comes out and what resolution it will have compared to a nice LCOS or DLP set?

The article boopme linked to states:

The screen we saw offered 1080i HDTV output, with 1080p models to arrive.

1080p has a 1920x1080 resolution.

While checking articles linked from the previous article, I found this:

Then there’s Sharp with their demonstration at the CEATEC Japanese trade show only this week of a TV with a resolution that makes 1080i and 1080p look like a low resolution technology. Their new TV can display images at a whopping 4096x2160 – more than double the 1920x1080 resolution of the latest 1080p panels. Of course, it’s just a prototype, and while there’s no firm release date, the word was that it wasn’t far away – quite possibly the same time frame that the Laser TV is set to be released in (i.e. end of 2007 or early 2008).

Doubts about the Laser TV?

Another interesting article:
Answers to Laser TV questions
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

HDTV receivers seem to come in so many different resolutions.

Seems to me the best picture will be obtained when the receiver native resolution is the same as the resolution that is transmitted. Anyone know what the transmission 'standard' is for HDTV? Or is there still not a 'standard' and various resolutions are broadcast....
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

1080I is standard with almost all programs. I read some football games or all HDTV football games are in 720P.

1080P is the big boy of HDTV but its not a standard since most all tv's are 1080I.

I like watching HDTV. Football games and tv shows are amazing in HD.

DLP tv's are brighter than lcd and plasma I read.

The laser tv sounds like a good idea though.

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

Oh dear, after reading all the postings here, I'm more confused than ever (it doesn't take much - hoot!).

I am planning on splurging on a 'thin-screen', hang on the wall 'Plasma' tv as a Christmas gift for my beloved husband - but I now read that "DLP tv's are brighter than lcd and plasma" and "LCOS set is better than a DLP" plus laser TVs will soon be here. This is the very likely the last television we will ever buy and I can't afford to make a mistake in choosing one - eep!

I went to a consumer review site and the 'top rated' plasma seems to be a Panasonic - but at another similar site, they listed a different brand - and on and on it went. No two sites seem to agree with which type of tv is best nor brands. Just about enough to make me stick with our old-fashioned nearly-in-it's-death-throes tv set.

Edited by MaraM, 26 November 2006 - 09:12 PM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

For what this is worth...

My husband and I are painters (about to retire.) We have worked in very, shall I say, high end houses for very high end clients. We've seen a lot of in-home theaters and on the wall plasma TV's installed. One day one of the technicians was there and we asked him a bit about the plasma TV's. The one he happened to be installing that day was in a wall in a bedroom. I don't remember the size, but it wasn't one of those really big ones. But it was a nice enough model to run about $6000. Anyhow, we got on the subject of warranties and how long it should last before expecting any major service. At that time (2-3 years ago) he said they were designed to be played only about 4-6 hours a day.

With that kind of shelf-life it wouldn't last a year in my house. :thumbsup:

I can just imagine what it would cost to repair one of them. Mind you, that was a few years ago and the technology has probably improved since then and the prices have gone down. But with our budget, if we decided to splurge it would have to just be a plain old new-fangled HDTV.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:58 PM

MaraM, the lasers won't even be available till perhaps Dec. 2007. But here some info on 10 Terrific TVs
and a Price Guide
Remember to consider size of the Unit to your available room and some TV's are only large.
Plasma also only has a Half life of about 30,000 hours. That means at that time it is starting to dim(the Gases are weakening). It's failing and not repairable.
Also the Dlp cannot handle the PC ,but the plasma can.

Here a comparison Plasma Vs. DLP
Some furhter info :

It is safe to argue that DLP offers the best picture of the four ‘high-end’ television types. Of all the technologies, LCOS is probably the closest to DLP, but the future for LCOS is shaky so the comparison is somewhat moot at this time. Many people feel LCD has a brighter picture, and Plasma has a reputation as being the Rolls Royce of televisions. Aside from walking into an electronics store and comparing the pictures of various models side-by-side, how do you know what picture is best for you? The bottom line is you don’t.

Article

Pros and Cons: Rear Projection Televisions
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

Mommabear, when I was checking out the prices for these plasma tvs, I can understand why you and your husband would consider them 'high-end' items (I surely do!- eek) - and it's even scarier when I consider their short half-life. Sigh.

Boopme, I can't thank you enough, truly I can't! I found out far more from you and the links you kindly provided than I did spenting all that time rummaging through websites on my own - thank you, thank you!!

The short life span of the plasma really does make me cringe but it seems the other types of tvs are simply too deep to mount on a wall, if I understood the article correctly? (I'm sitting here dithering right now ... remove a vitally needed dresser from bedroom in order to hold a new, but deeper tv ... or keep the dresser and pay the extra for a plasma... dither, dither, dither - grin!).

The 'price' link you sent was perfect, too - here in Canada, I simply have to add on 50-60% over the American prices given and poof, that's about the price we have to pay for each item here.

I've never been a 'dithering shopper' before so can't imagine what it must be like for those poor souls that go through this mental back-and-for over and over for every little item they buy. (Gives me new respect for my friend that suffers from this even when buying envelopes - gentle sigh).

Thanks again - I really do appreciate all your help!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:49 PM

I read cnets tv guide for my tv info. They said LCOS makes the best picture quality out there.

Go to cnet and read read read.

I thought I read DLP was brighter than lcd and plasma tv's but I could be wrong.

This is where I got all my info.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-1.html?tag=txt

Its really detailed.

Plasma has burn in it says there. And a lower resolution to comparable sized lcds. Resolution and contrast make the difference in HDTV.

One thing I like about the dlp is its replaceable lamp. When they burn out(some at 10k hours) you just go get another one. And the color always stays the same brightness until the bulb burns out.

I also like LCD though. I like it better than plasma.

You can get a huge dlp or lcos tv for cheaper than lcd or plasma.

Lcd and plasma have dlp tv's in the thin area though. You can get a huge lcd and it will still be like 3-4 inches thick while a 60 or 72 inch dlp will be from 16-21+

Its all what you need. I plan on getting a dlp I think. I want a big bright screen but dont mind it being thicker. Its not like the ones before where they were 400lbs and 4 feet thick. I dont see how anyone even used those old rear projection tv's. I always liked my small CRT tv better. My picture looked like HDTV over those things. The picture was blurred and super super dim and changed colors/brightness badly if you moved any.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 26 November 2006 - 11:53 PM.

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:17 AM

I for one cannot keep up with the speed in which technology is moving.
Before I fully understand one product, there are a dozen more on the
market to contend with.Finding all this very daunting.
Maybe I am just slooooow. :thumbsup:
I can't see the sense in outlaying a fortune for a top of the line TV,
when in no time they are regarded as obselete.

DSTM.

Edited by DSTM, 27 November 2006 - 12:26 AM.

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:28 AM

Remember you dont have to stay UP TO DATE with technology. It just has to work for you. I mean we still have a old 19 inch crt!

In some cases you MUST update like in 2009 when they cut off analog but its been many many years since analog tv first came on the air.

#13 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:09 AM

Thanks for admiting you too have a struggle keeping up with technology, DSTM - if it wasn't for wonderful sites like this and the even more wonderful people who participate on them, I'd be sunk for sure! :thumbsup:

You've got a good point CGM - we don't have to keep up with the newest stuff - but I love to mentally, even if I never plan on physically owning many of these things. (Just bought one grandson a 'Fly Pen' for Christmas - imagine how daunting that was for someone like me - grin!).

Have made a decision finally - not about the exact choice of new TV but about stopping the dithering. Yup, shall just go into a trustworthy store and see which one I like viewing plus which can be hung on the wall - and darn near equally as important, a store that will both deliver and install it.

I know many people buy things like this frequently but for me it's a huge, huge decision but also something that my beloved husband will love and will make his life much nicer, I hope.

I can do this, I can do this - gentle smile.

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

I know what you mean Mara.

I just made my once in a lifetime decision and went for a 40" widescreen Sony Bravia LCD. $NZ4000. No doubt it will be quickly superseded but that is modern electronic progress and you have to make a decision sooner or later. I have mine connected as a second computer monitor and on to a Phillips Home Theatre surround system so even tho something better is bound to be coming, in the meantime I am absolutely in love with it and it is going to have to do me forever.

The retail stores here are pushing plasma as the biggest and brightest but the thought of limited life and possibility of burn in put me off them. I have a five year warranty so if mine decides to packup, hopefully it will be within that period.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#15 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:20 AM

I know what you mean Mara.

I just made my once in a lifetime decision and went for a 40" widescreen Sony Bravia LCD. $NZ4000. No doubt it will be quickly superseded but that is modern electronic progress and you have to make a decision sooner or later. I have mine connected as a second computer monitor and on to a Phillips Home Theatre surround system so even tho something better is bound to be coming, in the meantime I am absolutely in love with it and it is going to have to do me forever.

The retail stores here are pushing plasma as the biggest and brightest but the thought of limited life and possibility of burn in put me off them. I have a five year warranty so if mine decides to packup, hopefully it will be within that period.

Cheers

I'm laughing because it's a Sony Bravia LCD that I spotted late last night on a local store's website - and it sounded wonderful - and still does - but I couldn't see how I could get it 'stuck' onto the bedroom wall. But most of all, I'm laughing because most of the great sales end today - and today we are literally snowed in and no end in sight to this lovely fluffy stuff that has been falling for the past day and a half. Oh well, bound to be another sale before Christmas, right?!

Thanks for letting me know that you love your new system - I trust your opinion on the Sony far more than the salespeople's opinions (nice as many of them are, they are there to sell things) - the entire system sounds wonderful and I'm so glad you've decided to splurge and enjoy life right now, Rowal. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users