Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxpsrv.exe File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ggovro

ggovro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

Several nights ago I was using the Internet, and got a Norton Firewall message that the WINXPSRV.exe file was trying to access the internet for updates. I elected to block the access since I was not familiar with the file. At that point I lost access to the Internet, and have not been able to get connected since. I use Comcast for my high-speed connection, and they are of no help, nor are Microsoft or Symantec.

So I have turned to the internet. I have a laptop at work and brought it home for the weekend, and it is connecting fine to the internet. So my guess here is that my Desktop computer browser has been "hijacked", or I have a worm on it. This has happened several times over the past month, but in every instance Norton has found a worm and destroyed it. This time I have found no worm, so I don't know for sure what to think. I found this file and a file by the same name with a .pf extension, which I understand is a pre-fetch file. I deleted the .pf file but not the .exe file from the windows\system32\ directory.

Any help would be appreciated. And to be clear here I have typed the file name correctly. There was no "e"
between the "s" and "r".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sq2

sq2

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:39 PM

Are you sure it wasn't "winxpserv.exe"?

If so you can go here for help http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/w....exe-10811.html

#3 ggovro

ggovro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

No, I am sure it is winxpsrv.exe because it is still sitting on my hard drive under windows\system32\. I'm afraid to delete it until I know it won't hurt anything.

#4 sq2

sq2

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

Have you scanned your computer with good Antivirus? You can also scan your computer online by going to http://be.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users