Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tib File

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hookie

Hookie

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

Hi Guys,

This really is not a problem but looking for advice on this file.

The file was created the day after i bought this system and what i want to know is,can i copy it to disc or discs for safe keeping and use as a backup if my system should ever crash

I don't know how much disc space it takes up but looking at the file it seems rather big, so if deleting it, would it give me more space on my drive.

I am in the process of buying an new external drive for use of backing up so can anyone advise on the above subject.

I will try to attach the said mentioned file for someone's expert eyes,

Thank you.
[/URL][/img]

Posted Image

Edited by Hookie, 25 November 2006 - 07:36 PM.

"Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbour. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him." 

5411sq6.jpg

"May the devil never know you are dead a half after you arrive in heaven".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:33 PM

Some things to list for us to help
-Hard Drive Size
-What is the file for/Is it vital to keep

If you have a smaller hardrive then this could take up some serious space but if not then it isnt a real big problem
Posted Image

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

Do you have Acronis Disk Backup Software on your computer? The file mentioned is flagged on google as a backup file made by the above software. Is it possible that you did a disk backup?

If that is the case, you can delete the file, but it is safe to have the backup...

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

The file size is 14.7 Gb and yes you can back it up onto a USB hard drive or to a set of DVD's it will use 4 DVD's just make sure the program you use for burning the DVD's spans the disks.

#5 Hookie

Hookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:34 PM

Hi Guys,thank you for the speedy reply.

First of my hard drive is 80GB(see system specs below) which i have 34.8GB left.

Second,it was a backup of my system when first bought.

I'm in the process of cleaning crap from my hard drive and came across this file,which looking at, is taking up(I think) 14.7GB,that's big and i could do with the space.

Yes i did try the "Acronis" software but no-longer on my system, this is how i got this backup file, but sorry to say i never backed it up to disc.

When i ran that program then my system was still in a virgin state,ie,i hadn't put all the crap on it then that i have now.

So it would be nice if i was able to somehow run this file and back it up,clear it of my hard dive and gain more space, it would mean if my system ever crashed i could use this to get me up and running again.

Edited by Hookie, 25 November 2006 - 09:37 PM.

"Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbour. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him." 

5411sq6.jpg

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:59 PM

You will need acronis to re-expanded the file. You can move it to your new drive once purchased or span it as ThorXP suggested.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 Hookie

Hookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

Hi Guys,

Please explain, "Span the disc" and any other software to do this.

Have "Nero" and have DVD-R + DVD+RW disc's i can use.

5411sq6.jpg

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

This file is most likely a backup of your hard drive on the date that you bought the system. It can be used to restore your system to the state it was in when you bought it. It will take the Acronis True Image program to restore it - so I'd suggest talking to the folks who built your PC for more info.

Spanning is the act of splitting up a large file into smaller pieces that will fit onto other media (such as CD's or DVD's). Nero should be able to do this (but I'm not sure since I don't use it myself).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users