Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dhcp Client

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

One of the services that runs automatically in my Win2K system is DHCP Client.

Codestuff Starter says of this that it "manages network configuration by registering and updating IP addresses and DNS names." It certainly seems to be be necessary as when I disabled it to test it I found that I could no longer connect to the Internet.

But on checking the Bleepingcomputer Startup database I found the following:

Name Filename Status Description
DHCP Client dhcpclient.exe X

Added by the W32/Codbot-AG worm. When started, this infection connects to a remote IRC server where it waits for commands to execute.

I then ran a search and there is no dhcpclient.exe file in my computer so it would seem there is no problem.

Or is there?

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

DHCP Client is legitimate. If you statically assign a specific ip address to your computer you can disable it. If on the other hand, a router or server provides the ip address to your computer when you start it, then you need to keep this running.

#3 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:01 AM

DHCP Client is legitimate. If you statically assign a specific ip address to your computer you can disable it. If on the other hand, a router or server provides the ip address to your computer when you start it, then you need to keep this running.

Hi Lawrence:

Thank you. Yes, that's pretty well what I thought but I thought it best to check.

Regards,

scratcher.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users