Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virusbursters / Can't Run Any Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stonesundial

stonesundial

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

Hello,

I have searched the forums for a situation like mine with no success, so here's my first "help me!" post. : )

I'm running Windows XP and have been infected with Virusbursters, and maybe other bad stuff. The problem is that I can't open most of my programs: clicking on a desktop icon for Adaware or AVG Free or other antivirus software, or most other programs (games, Adobe Reader, the Calculator) has no effect at all: no windows open, no error messages, nothing. I can open folders OK, just not the programs inside.

One exception is MS Word, for some reason. Word documents open just fine. Also, Internet Explorer and Netscape will open from their desktop icons.

If I rightclick on the Windows Security Center icon on the taskbar, and click Open Security Center, a window comes up saying:
"[title: Windows]
Windows cannot open this file:
File: rundll32.exe
To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.
What do you want to do?
[radio button] Use the Web service to find the appropriate program
[radio button] Select the program from a list
[OK] [Cancel]"

If I select Firefox from the list, I can open Firefox (though Firefox won't open from its desktop icon), but after the browser comes up, the Security Center doesn't open at all. Rather, another window appears saying:
"[title: Opening rundll32.exe]
You have chosen to open
rundll32.exe
which is a: Application
Would you like to save this file?
[Save file] [Cancel]"

and if I save it to the desktop, rundll32.exe sits there and clicking on it does nothing. I think this is a useful system file, right, not virus-related? or could it be virus-related?

If I try to run a program from the CD drive (Sims 2), the drive hums and whirs like normal, but then nothing opens.

I also can't open Add or Remove Programs.

I can open My Computer and rightclick on Properties for the C: or D: drives, but if I hit "disk cleanup" a window comes up saying:
"Windows cannot locate the Disk Cleanup program. The program file may be corrupted or may have been deleted from your computer. To reinstall Disk Cleanup, run Windows Setup again."

Also, if I right-click on any file so far, I have the option to run an AVG Free scan on it. I'm doing that now on the C: drive.

We've been running AVG a lot in the last few days because it said we had threats, & have been "healing" them. It's only since yesterday (Nov 25 2006 ~10pm PST) that most of the programs have not been opening.

Since yesterday, upon restarting the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder opens up automatically. I don't know why, and I've been closing it. I've tried restarting a few times & no change in anything mentioned above.

I have no idea what to do because except for waiting for this AVG scan to finish (20 minutes in and 0 threats found), I can't open any other antivirus software or tinker with the settings to access Safe Mode.

Thanks x 1,000,000 for any advice!

Edited by stonesundial, 25 November 2006 - 02:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:09 PM

Hello stonesundial

Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

We have a self-help section for removing common malware. Please see the self-help tutorial How to remove VirusBursters.

I also recommend that you download and scan with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 in "SAFE MODE".
(This is Ewdio 4.0 renamed. If you already have Ewido installed, please update to this version which has a special "clean driver" for removing persistent malware.) Be sure to print out the AVG Anti-Spyware Install-Scan Instructions and read the User Manual.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 stonesundial

stonesundial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

Hello stonesundial

Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

We have a self-help section for removing common malware. Please see the self-help tutorial How to remove VirusBursters.

I also recommend that you download and scan with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 in "SAFE MODE".
(This is Ewdio 4.0 renamed. If you already have Ewido installed, please update to this version which has a special "clean driver" for removing persistent malware.) Be sure to print out the AVG Anti-Spyware Install-Scan Instructions and read the User Manual.

Hullo,

I used a combination of techniques, using SmitFraud from your link, and also renewing some of the registry material with the help of a tech support friend. There seems to be a partial fix, and we're working on reinstalling Windows. Thank you for the response!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:15 AM

Your welcome. Sorry to here about having to reinstall but sometimes that's an option to take. Good luck.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How to Prevent Spyware".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users