Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help Deleting A File On Msdos!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lauren-x

lauren-x

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

I've been trying to figure this out for the past half hour or so, and none of my attempts have worked so far. So I thought I'd ask everyone here, because you're all smarter than me!

Well first of all I should probably say why I'm deleting files. Recently I've noticed that my spyware and adware scanners have been randomly freezing halfway through scanning my computer. So I wrote down the file that it stopped on, using Adaware. And it happened to be this file:

"C:\DOCUME~1\Buyer\Locals~1\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.I5\4DUFCDMR"

So then I tried deleting the file, but I got an message that told me explorer.exe had generated errors and was creating a log file. I got the exact same messages when trying to use programs such as Scandisk, so I knew some kind of file was trying to prevent me from deleting it.

I can't do anything to the "4DUFCDMR" file without my computer freezing, and then having to restart, so I searched the internet for help, and somebody reccommeded I try deleting the "C:\Windows\tempor~1" file in MSDOS mode. But I don't know how to type the command.

Is this the right thing to do? And if so, what should the command be?

I really hope you can help, I'm going mad! Thanks!

Edited by lauren-x, 25 November 2006 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

Have you tried to delete it in Safe Mode?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

Try this instead:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.]

It should clean out your temp files and temporary internet files.

#4 lauren-x

lauren-x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

I managed to access the files in Safe Mode,I have no idea why I didn't try it before! I feel so stupid!

Thank you so much, everything works fine now!

And I will definitely use the ATF cleaner in the future, it seems more efficient than Scandisk.

Thanks for all your help!!!

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:09 AM

ATF CLeaner is just used to clean temp files...not for repairing hard drive like scandisk. Good tool nonetheless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users