Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encrpyted Firewall.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 11bink11

11bink11

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

Should i get it installed by myself? Is it easy? Should i pay 115$ for them to do it, but thats a last resort?

So, anyone wanna help me with this.

EDIT!: Title meant to say Encrypted Firewall.

(Moderator edit: and so it shall say. jgweed)
Thanks.

Edited by 11bink11, 25 November 2006 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:24 PM

What firewall is this? Can you give us a link to it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 11bink11

11bink11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

Its not a firewall you can download, but rather for a Wireless router i got with my new laptop.

When i got the router they said that anyone can get to your computer without a encrypted firewall on your router.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

What is the router make and model? You should be able to do this yourself with guidance and/or the maual.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

I think the other posters may be correct. You should be able to do this yourself, but that depends upon your skill level. Encryption is different than a firewall. Most routers act as a firewall. But when you broadcast your wireless signals, it is possible for others to see them, if they are so inclined. So you can encrypt the signals so only those with the proper 'password' (called a passphrase) can see them. Firewall and Encryption are two different things, but both can help to protect you.

There are two types of encryption, WEP and WPA. WEP is considered weak, but is better than nothing if you need encryption at all. WPA is stronger. Both will cost you in terms of your connection speed, WEP will cost less than WPA.

Not all people need encryption. Is your home in the country, in the middle of a field, and your nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away? If so, you don't need encryption, but may still want it if you can afford it in terms of connection speed.

If you live in an apartment complex, and you have a few computers networked with sensitive data contained, then you need a strong encryption.

I would set up your wireless router and test the connection first, see what the speed of it is. Then add the encryption and watch the connection speed go down. But then you will know exactly how much your encryption is costing you.

If you need help in setting this up, we would be happy to guide you, or we can refer you to a web page that will help.

I hope that helps.

EDIT: Here is a good article: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...y/wireless.mspx

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 November 2006 - 03:31 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 11bink11

11bink11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:34 PM

Thanks. I'll look i'll look into it, but i'll have to persuade my dad to open now instead of x-mas.

EDIT: Linked helped a ton thanks.

How's this laptop look for multitasking? http://laptopmag.com/Review/HP-Pavilion-dv9000t.htm?Page=0

Edited by 11bink11, 25 November 2006 - 03:55 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

Should work just fine. I've recently seen Dell's and Toshiba's (laptops) with the Core 2 Duo and they are great.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 11bink11

11bink11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

Today's the day. I'm attempting it, I have no idea where to start. First let me open the box.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

I have no idea where to start. First let me open the box.

Step Two: Take device out of box.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

Why don't you tell us what make and model the router is so we can look up to see what its capability is and how to configure it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users