Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Min. Power Requirements For Add On Video Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:06 PM

According to tigerdirect I need a minimum of 250watts and a +12 current rating of 18 A. I have a 300 watt PS but it is only 16A. This spec is for a evga 7300GS 256mb card. My problem is that after looking at all of the Antec power supplied offered on Newegg, I see that very few of them have a rating of 18A. Most are 17A or less and even the Antec NeoHE 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply only has a 17A rating which retails at $100. Am I correct it thinking that the spec on the tigerdirect site is false and I can get by with the PS I already own?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:24 PM

The ratings are subjective because the power supply supplies not only the video card, but every other component that your computer uses.

I would suspect that your current PSU would handle this - but can't guarantee it. The only sure way is to try it and see. (FWIW, you can overcome minor power issues by disabling all the unneeded stuff that sucks up electricity).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

I would say that 18A on the 12V rail is a decent estimation of the power requirements. On the power supplies which had less than 18A on the 12V rail: did you check is they had two 12V rails? The 18A requirement would the be for the two 12V rails combined.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

The antec 500 I mentioned above has 3 12volt rails, each rated at 17A. So what you are saying then is that this PS adds up to 51A and this is great. Is this correct? I have to add one more item I just discovered. For the same 7300GS 512mb card as I mentioned above, EVGA wants a mimimum of 250W@18A and I see that XFX is asking for 350W@20A for the same card.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:01 AM

The antec 500 I mentioned above has 3 12volt rails, each rated at 17A. So what you are saying then is that this PS adds up to 51A and this is great. Is this correct?

Yes that is correct, although I must add that PSU's cannot do full load on all 12V rails so the actual combined amperage on the 12V rails for the Antec 500W you mentioned is 38A which you can find by looking for the combined output for the 12V rails, usually found in the detailed specs.

I have to add one more item I just discovered. For the same 7300GS 512mb card as I mentioned above, EVGA wants a mimimum of 250W@18A and I see that XFX is asking for 350W@20A for the same card.

The graphics card isn't the only thing in your computer using 12V power, so their power recommendation is based on a guesstimate on what else you've got in your computer.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:10 AM

Thank you usama and Mr. Alpha for setting me straight on choosing and reading power supply specs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users