Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grampa Wants To Play Deal Or No Deal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

Grampa is coming from the coast for Christmas (he is in his late 80's),and has been playing this Deal or No Deal on his own computer.He hasn't reported anything strange happenings like spyware etc.
He went so far as to sending me the link,so I guess thats a hint!
I have never downloaded a game,and am sort of cautious when it comes to what I d/l onto my computer.It boils down to that I'm just a fraidy-cat.....

Has anyone played this game?
It is Freeware,and checks out with McAfee Site Advisor.
http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/game/dond.swf

Thanx for your help on this one!
TMacK
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

Well if it's coming straight from NBC, i wouldn't worry about anything that'd totally screw your computer up. It might contain adware, but other than that, i don't think any harm would come from it.

I haven't downloaded it myself, but if i watched/liked the game, i would.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:29 PM

TMack - please also use this little utility to check the link?

Exploit Prevention Labs @ http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.asp

It will tell you instantly if there's an exploit?

Edited by KoanYorel, 25 November 2006 - 07:29 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

Thanx for the replies.
Koan,I gave that link a try and the results were good,

Congratulations! LinkScanner did not find any exploits at:

Will bookmark that for other uses,great little utility,Thank you for sharing that!

Grampa will be happy when he gets to play his favorite game at our house. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

Grampa is coming from the coast for Christmas (he is in his late 80's),and has been playing this Deal or No Deal on his own computer.He hasn't reported anything strange happenings like spyware etc.
He went so far as to sending me the link,so I guess thats a hint!
I have never downloaded a game,and am sort of cautious when it comes to what I d/l onto my computer.It boils down to that I'm just a fraidy-cat.....

Has anyone played this game?
It is Freeware,and checks out with McAfee Site Advisor.

Thanx for your help on this one!
TMacK

First off, it's not a freeware. It's just a simple flash game. You don't download it, you just play it from the browser.

Secondly, it's from NBC, so you can be pretty damn sure THEY'RE not gonna put malware on your PC. And since you're not downloading anything, then you're safe.

And lastly, I understand being careful when using the internet, but don't you think this is a little overboard? You used virus tools to check a flash game on NBC, and you posted a thread on a forum to double check to make sure it's safe.

Being careful is one thing, being overly paranoid is another. Just chill, as long as you have McAfee site advisor, and Spyware blaster, and as long as you don't download random crap. You're pretty much safe. Use some common sense.

Edited by Detox, 28 November 2006 - 09:31 PM.

#6 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

First off, it's not a freeware. It's just a simple flash game. You don't download it, you just play it from the browser

I didn't know that.

Use some common sense

Use some common courtesy Detox.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:57 PM

Secondly, it's from NBC, so you can be pretty damn sure THEY'RE not gonna put malware on your PC. And since you're not downloading anything, then you're safe.

And how can he be sure, other than asking, and checking for himself?
Just because it's NBC, doesn't automatically make it safe.

And lastly, I understand being careful when using the internet, but don't you think this is a little overboard? You used virus tools to check a flash game on NBC, and you posted a thread on a forum to double check to make sure it's safe.

When it comes to computer security, there's no such thing as "a little overboard".
With the rampant spread of spyware, malware, and other malicious programs, you can't be, too cautious.

Use some common sense.

By asking for other's advice, and opinions, I would say TMacK showed a great deal of common sense.
Only a fool, jumps into something he knows nothing about.
And the best way to find out about something, is to ask for advice from those that know.

You need to show a little more respect to our members, Detox.
They come here to ask question, because they don't know.
They don't come here to be insulted, or talked down to.
That type of behavior, is unacceptable.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:31 PM

Yes didn't sony install a rootkit? Just because they are a well known entity doesn't mean anything any more. Better safe than sorry. And I think it is ESPN.com had/has a media component that I wouldn't want on my comp.
Can't remember what it is.

Edited by Scarlett, 29 November 2006 - 06:32 PM.

Posted Image

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:34 AM

Would just like to say thank you tg1911 and Scarlett for jumping on this. When members ask any question then it is a genuine question and deserves a genuine and helpful reply even if the answer may seem overly obvious to someone else.

This is what makes Bleeping Computer so marvellous for those of us who weren't brought up with the modern technology.

Cheers :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 slashjive

slashjive

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:36 AM

I was looking at this thread and thinking that was a little overboard, grampa just wants to play a game on your computer, thought it was funny. Then I see the post about espn.com (that I visit everyday, at school and at home) and it struck a nerve, because I always watch that flash stuff and have to log in for fantasy football, etc...

But do big companies like that really install crap on your computer? Im at this site to post in the hijackthis forum, and I bet I got a load of crap from ESPN for using flash and stuff on their site. I was also wondering because our computers at school were like top of the line two yrs ago, all dells with flat screens, and all have broadband, and now they're all being replaced this wknd. ANd i know for a fact 90 percent of the students visit myspace and/or espn.com every day when at school on the computer. Today I got the blue screen on one of them (yes, the dreaded blue screen) while in the middle of a paper. I bet its cause all those damn sites that use flash ( and You HAVE to download flash to see some of the stuff on myspace now)

Is it legal for companies to do this?

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:45 AM

The fact that flash is used does not necessarily mean that your computer becomes infected.

Be careful what you download and keep your aps and op system patched, then use common sense as to what you download and where you download from.

Read EULAs carefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users