Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Controller Card?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:51 PM

Hey yall,

I need to install another drive into my pc, but only have one IDE connector. My mobo has four ATA connectors, but, I cannot afford a drive for that right now.
A have a 60gig and would like to install it as a slave.

Can I do this with a controller card?
And what steps should I take, as to avoid having any problems with it?

Thanks

XP PRO SP2, Intel 945GNT mobo, P4-2800, 1gig RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

While I haven't done this, I've seen the posts of others who have.

Yes it's possible, and the best advice is to follow the directions that come with the controller card.

Another option is to get an IDE to SATA converter - one of the other forum members swears by this method (again, I haven't done this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:04 PM

I'll give it a shot.... :thumbsup:
Thanks

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:14 PM

It appears you have a USB 2.0 bus. An external drive case would not be a bad choice. At least it is simple.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BL...35U&cat=HDD
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:18 AM

Usasma, Well, the process was much easier than I thought it would be.
Plug it in, install the drivers from the cd, reboot, and it found the slave just fine, seems to be working well.

I am thinking about running both my drives off the main board now, and running the cd-rom from the card..., is that a good idea, or does it matter one way or the other?

Acklan, I have been told that an external drive is pretty much only good for storage, meaning pictures, etc. I have a M$ Flight Sim X that I need to run off the slave, could that be done with an external drive?

Thanks again...

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:27 AM

To be honest I cannot speak to that. My gaming is limited to console games and Zuma on MSN Games. You in theory have 480 mbs of bandwidth (60MB), but I believe if the bandwidth is enough the response time would not.
A third controller would be your best bet since you are gaming. What you describe doing it probably the best.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:33 AM

I set it up like that, with both drives on the main board, cd-rom from card.
Things seem to be good. Game plays faster now than before...(main drive was getting full)
I have no trouble with my cd-rom....All seems well.

Thanks yall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users