Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security 2003/2004 or Trend Micro?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rambo

Rambo

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:40 AM

BS"D

I was using Norton Internet Security 2003 (with NAV 2003) on one of my computers, and I thought it was pretty good, until I ran an online Trend Micro Housecall Anti-Virus and it reported viruses that Norton did not catch.

I lost faith on Norton, and switched to a trial of Trend Micro Internet Security. I like it, but I am concerned that I don't get the warnings that Norton used to give, so maybe it isn't catching things that Norton was catching.

I am using a DSL Connection with a Linksys Router (with firewall enabled) and Norton Internet Security 2004 on one computer, and Trend Micro Internet Security on another computer.

The computer that has Norton IS 2004, doesn't give me any warnings....

Please advise any experience and feedback.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,543 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:23 AM

I am confused. So both Norton IS 2004 and Trend Micro Internet Security are both not giving you warnings? What type of warnings were they giving before? Virus warnings or firewall warnings? Most firewall warnings are probably being filtered out by your router.

#3 Rambo

Rambo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:42 AM

BS"D

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I made it so confusing.

Previously I would get various firewall warnings, and virus alerts here and there. I ran Trend Micro Housecall one day, and it found about 7 virus-infected files that Norton didn't tell me about.

I started using Trend Micro Internet Security, but I am finding that the firewall is virtually silent. I don't know if it's providing the same level of protection.

I'm looking for feedback from other users who are familiar with either or both products. Prior to using the Linksys router, I was using a cheap iNexQ router.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,543 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:28 AM

Did you switch to trend micro at the same time as the router switch? You may also have the alerts from trend micro disabled or silent. I am not that familiar with the product but you can check the options and see if there is something about displaying alerts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users