Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll32.exe Errors ;-(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ~MaSeN~

~MaSeN~

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

Hey fellow CPU fans, this is my first post on BleepingComputer.com. I'm in desparate need of your help and knowledge! I'm currently using a Sony Vaio Laptop using Windows XP Home Edition. I recently downloaded a couple of programs for a game that I play online. After I attempted to install these programs (Which I downloaded from a very trust-worthy website) my "rundll32.exe" seems to not be working, along with a couple other ".exe" files. I'm not sure if my rundll32.exe file is corrupted, or if I might have encountered a debilitating virus. I've tried to research my problem and potential soultions, however it's just led me into circles and headaches. I went into SafeMode and attempted to execute a system restore to about one month ago but it didn't work! Do I need to re-install Windows XP all over again? Do I need to just use my Windows XP CD and restore those files? Do I need to accept that I ruined my laptop!? I would really appreciate a response from anyone and everyone who could be of any help in my time of need!

Sincerely,
~MaSeN~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~MaSeN~

~MaSeN~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:01 AM

I just read my previous post, and I realized that you guys probably need some more information. Well, after browsing the BleepingComputer forums, I realized "Hey, I need to run a 'spy' program to see if my computer has been infected with Malware or viruses. So... I went to download a program from the HJT forums. When trying to run this downloaded program, a screen popped up on my CPU and it said "Open With" on the top bar and had a list of "recommended programs". So I tried to open up a couple of other programs that had already been installed on my CPU. These programs that I used not three hours ago are doing the same thing. And when I put in a game in my CD Drive, it wouldn't open up nor use "Auto-Play" which this specific game usually does when I put in into the drive. Something is obviously wrong, I just have NO CLUE how to even approach this problem aside from posting here in hopes that one of you nice people might have a clue as to what I need to do. Another example of the problem I'm having is... I can open up my control panel but when I click on just about every icon within the folder, a prompt pops up and says: "C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe Application not found." or when I click on the "Help and Support" link on the left hand side of the Contro Panel is says: "helpctr.exe Application not found."

I'm seriously in tears over this because I need this computer badly! Any help would be appreciated!?

Sadly,

~MaSeN~

#3 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

You need to download this program http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html and do a full system scan then tell us what it finds. I have used this program over the years and it has not let me down yet. If it dose then the problem may be much larger than just a little virus.

After researching for a while I came upon someone with the same problem. Turns out they had a Trojan for safety Reasons I would download and run this
http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

Edited by Siggyman, 25 November 2006 - 09:38 AM.

Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:44 AM

Your primary concern right now should be that you have adequate antivirus and antispyware protection. Once that's installed, then update the definitions and run a complete system scan with each.

If you can get on the internet, try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:49 AM

Your rundll32.exe may be missing or corrupt due to a virus. The following link should help to expand and copy the file back to where it belongs.

Cannot find the Rundll32.exe file when you open Control Panel

If this fixes that problem make sure you read the information here: HijackThis Logs and Analysis and post a Hijackthis log.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 25 November 2006 - 09:51 AM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users