Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Server Configuration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 damo12

damo12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:04 AM

I am attempting to set up a web server using Windows Advanced Server 2000 on an ADSL broadband connection with a static IP address. The domain name has been delegated to the IP address of my name servers 2 weeks ago and I have installed and configured DNS and IIS on the server. I have the order for DNS resolution in the Windows registry set to the following order of priority - DNSPriority, LocalPriority, HostsPriority & NetbtPriority on the server. Firewalls were disabled for the purposes of reachability testing of the server and port 80 was forwarded on the router. An online test for port access showed that port 80 is open. The website is configured to communicate on port 80. However, I can only access my website using the domain name on the server. Conversely, I can only access my site on a client machine using the IP address of the DNS server (i.e ISP assigned IP address). What am I doing wrong and how can I configure the server so that all client machines can access my website using the domain name?

Edited by damo12, 25 November 2006 - 11:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

Did you change the domains authoritative DNS servers to the IP address of your Windows server? Remember that all domains must be configured with the DNS servers that are authoritative for it. You can do this by setting these dns servers at the web site where you registered the domain.

#3 damo12

damo12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

Did you change the domains authoritative DNS servers to the IP address of your Windows server? Remember that all domains must be configured with the DNS servers that are authoritative for it. You can do this by setting these dns servers at the web site where you registered the domain.

Yes. 2 weeks ago.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:34 AM

Do you mind pming me the domain? Will be easier for me to diagnose if i knew the domain name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users