Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ubs blues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cbcom

cbcom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:25 PM

I bought my husband an IPOD. I don't have the correct cable. Even after I order the correct cable I don't have enough ports. Even if I order a hub, I have NO idea how to find out what kind of USB port that I have.

a) How can I find out if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0?
:thumbsup: If I have 1.1 how do I upgrade? Do I need to upograde to use IPOD :flowers: ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:42 PM

USB 2.0 is downward compatable with USB 1.1, in most cases. This means you can use all USB 2.0 devices and cables, but if your computer only has 1.1, then it will still work, but not as fast. The speed would not be something that you would notice though.

In your case, with an I-Pod, it would take less 15 seconds to d/l a song. On USB 2.0 it would take less then 5 seconds.

There is one thing that you may have to consider. I-Tunes only works with XP. I do not have an I-Pod, but that is my understanding. By the way, I-Tunes is the service to put songs on the I-Pod.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 cbcom

cbcom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:50 PM

Thank you so much Jason!

Carolyn

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:59 PM

No problem. If you would like to know for sure, you can d/l Everest home

If you have 95, 98, or ME, then chances are very good that you have USB 1.1 I do not know the exact time that 2.0 was released, but it would be hit or miss, if you would work with your current hardware. Personally, I would go with a USB 4- (or 6)port hub. Incidently, a USB hub is downward compatible also.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2004 - 01:34 AM

Hi:

Jason, thats great info, just learned something.

This is an interesting thread. Everything's comin up USB these days. I see a lot of the new machines have USB Ports on the front as well as the back. Recently built a Machine like that that had 2 in front and 4 in the back. So I guess a hub would be cool for an older machine. One of my 98 machines has two USB Ports and the other has none, but a PCI card would cover that. Never used USB on the one I could do that with because of a cheap Motherboard and a Bios issue.

Is there a way to tell, say through Device Manager or something, whether you have USB 1 or 2 supported?

I'm out of town visiting for Xmas right now and using my brother's Win2000 machine, but when I get back home its 98SE. Any way to find out? In either system? Both would be perfect.

Edited by Leurgy, 25 December 2004 - 01:48 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:34 PM

I am not sure if the Device Manager would tell you if it is 2.0 or not. I know that Everest would tell you though.

Perhaps someone could help me out on that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users