Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro X64 And Sp2 Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:04 AM

Hi Everyone
I am trying to get SP2 installed on my XP Pro x64 which is set for automatic updating. Going to Windows Updates I get the message (no high-priority updates for your computer are available), even though SP2 has never been installed. Right clicking My Computer and selecting Properties shows me I have SP1, but going to Add and Remove programs, I do not see SP2 there. I have only just got this XP Pro x64 and have much to discover about it yet, such as why I have 2 Program File folders, one being marked as (x86). So, can anyone help me by telling me why the 2 Program File folders, and if there is a SP2 for XP Pro x64?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:00 AM

Wow! MS sure doesn't make it easy to find out - but I managed to locate this link that says you can't use it: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx

About way down the page it's listed under "You cannot use Windows XP SP2 to update the following operating systems:"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:40 PM

Wow! MS sure doesn't make it easy to find out - but I managed to locate this link that says you can't use it: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx

About way down the page it's listed under "You cannot use Windows XP SP2 to update the following operating systems:"

Thanks usasma, but how on earth did you find that? I spent hours searching MS and couldn't find anything. I only purchased this 64 bit version of XP Pro a short while ago, and it's presented nothing but problems that need solving. I cannot understand why MS has produced this operating system and left it so poorly supported. Oh well, it's nearly Christmas, so I guess I'll stick this system in the back drawer and fork out for the 32 bit version.

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:26 PM

Your question about the 2 program folders, if I remember correctly one (x86) lists the 32-bit programs and the other lists 64-bit.

Also, so poorly supported? It is just that most people still use 32-bit so most companies are still programing in 32-bit. Once, it becomes more popular then you will see more support. For now just run a 32-bit version in a VM. Might be better.

-needTOS
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the info on the Program File folders, had a feeling they might have been for there for that reason, it's just that I would have thought they might have put x64 rather than x86. As for the support, it seems to me that by the time it becomes popular, everyone else will have moved over to Vista and XP Pro will be outdated. LOL

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

The (x86) were programs designed for the old 32-bit x86 architecture. As for XP being out dated yea, The equivelant would be Vista Buisness x64 lol but there will be support for it just not much.

-needTOS

Edited by need TOS, 25 November 2006 - 08:23 PM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

Thanks usasma, but how on earth did you find that? I spent hours searching MS and couldn't find anything. I only purchased this 64 bit version of XP Pro a short while ago, and it's presented nothing but problems that need solving. I cannot understand why MS has produced this operating system and left it so poorly supported. Oh well, it's nearly Christmas, so I guess I'll stick this system in the back drawer and fork out for the 32 bit version.

Probably just used some different criteria when I was searching - plus I've got a a bunch of experience with SP2 problems.

64 bit is a good OS - but it's not (IMO) ready for prime time yet. The industry just hasn't risen to support it yet, but (again IMO) it's inevitable that we'll go to 64 bit computing - but that it'll be Vista that does it, not XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

From what your both saying it looks as if I just made the right decision in ordering a 32 bit version of XP pro. Now I have another question regarding file transfer between XP Home and XP Pro, but I will bring this up in a new topic later. Thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users