Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp And 98

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:23 AM

I have xp installed and want to install 98se.When I change the boot order to boot form cd drive, and insert the 98 instalation instead of booting from it it goes to a bios like screen and says hit f1 to retry boot or f2 to access setup. Can I install the 98 with XP already installed? I have split the drive into 2 partitions to do this but cant seem to get it done .Does anyone know what im doing wrong? Also im pretty sure its best if im running two OSs on one computer id want to have it FAT 32 but, when i was performing the xp instalation the only choice I had was NTFS. Im not sure at all how to fix that either. I thought it would be easier than this to do. It sounds really cool and id love to learn how to do it so, if anyone could provide any suggestions id sure be thankful..

-RAY-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:25 AM

Or at least im pretty sure I Patitioned the drive correctly!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

Actually I would recommend you partition the Xp with NTFS and the W98 with FAT32. You will not have a choice with W98 since it does not reconize NTFS.
According to Microsoft you must install W98 first then install XP. Here is a Microsoft support document to explain the details.

Dual boot XP and windows 9x
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:53 AM

There are ways to install Windows 98 after XP - but it gets very complicated. I'd suggest that you search google for this and see the experiences of others.

While I haven't done this myself, I suspect that it has to do with installing Windows 98 on a separate partition and then editing the boot.ini file to add Windows 98 as one of the choices.

The major stumbling block will be that Windows 98 will want to access the boot sector on your primary partition and won't be able to (since it won't recognize NTFS). I have no clue about how to get around this.

You may end up spending more time trying to get it work than it would take to backup your data, wipe XP, install 98, then install XP (and you'd have a brand spanking new copy of each OS!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

Dual boot WinXP and Win98

Setup both C and D as FAT32. Run Win98 setup, use custom mode and install it to D:\windows. This will place the system files on D and the boot files on C.

Boot Win98, insert the WinXP CD and choose to install it to another
partition - namely C. This will install WinXP and it's boot loader to C and setup the dual-boot.

To install after WinXP.

Install Windows 98 after I've installed XP

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 25 November 2006 - 10:27 AM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:41 AM

Great links TheTerrorist_75! Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

Dual boot WinXP and Win98

Setup both C and D as FAT32. Run Win98 setup, use custom mode and install it to D:\windows. This will place the system files on D and the boot files on C.

Boot Win98, insert the WinXP CD and choose to install it to another
partition - namely C. This will install WinXP and it's boot loader to C and setup the dual-boot.

To install after WinXP.

Install Windows 98 after I've installed XP

Nice.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Mike000000001

Mike000000001

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

Each windows installation overwrites the boot files of the other. XP will notice that 98 is there and take action accordingly, creating a dual boot screen, but 98 will just overwrite.

There is a way around this. If you have installed XP and then 98, boot from the XP CD, assumimg you have one, and go for repair options. Read about this online first though. You need to run

bootcfg /rebuild

and possibly

fixmbr

After that, Control Panel, System, Startup options allows you to edit the boot options.

If you are already running XP Pro, there is another way, and that is to install M$'s Virtual Machine architecture.

Mike

Edited by Mike000000001, 25 November 2006 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users