Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd Optical Drive

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 DWP164

DWP164

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

My CD/DVD drive (TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492A) tray opens when eject button has not been pressed.

Explantion: Let's say I want to play a CD. I press eject, the tray opens and I insert CD. I then push
the tray inside. Two or three seconds later the tray will open without touching anything. I will repeat this
process maybe 2 or 3 times more before the reader finally decides to work. Once the reader knows the CD is their I can play music, video's, etc...

Note: I have noticed the following: When the tray is pushed in one, two, three times. The reader doesn't seem to know a CD has been inserted. Why do I say this? The green indicator light doesn't start flashing immediately. Therefore, the CD is ejected in a couple secs...

Also, if the tray is not immediately pushed inside, the reader will start looking for the CD in the open position, (green indicator light is now flashing). Once this process starts the tray remains open until reader realizes there's no Disc. Then the process starts over again, or until the CD is read.

Any assistance greatly appreciated..

Thanks..

DWP164

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 November 2006 - 11:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:39 PM

Have you tried pressing the button to have the tray insert the cd instead of forcing the tray closed?

#3 DWP164

DWP164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Yes...Both ways....Same results...

DWP164

#4 DWP164

DWP164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:47 PM

I have also performed tests within Help & Support and everything running normal.

I even today went inside the CPU and disconnected the drive and then reconnected...

However, that didn't help..

DWP164

#5 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 04:31 AM

I would try going to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, click Device Manager in the left panel and then double click your CD-ROM drive in the right panel. A window will open telling you if the device is working properly. If not, it should tell you why. Unlikely, but it could be that the driver needs reinstalling.

Another thing to try is going to the Help and Support Center. In the left panel select (Fixing a problem) followed by (Hardware and System device problems). In the left panel select (Hardware Troubleshooter). Then just follow the guide.

Do you have any other programs other than Windows Media Player installed for playing CDs?

#6 DWP164

DWP164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:45 AM

I have tried Help and Support (Fix a Problem), everything checked out normal. Even Device Manager,
same thing.

Note: As I type this reply, the tray just opened. I touched nothing other then this keyboard.[u]

WMP is the only device I have for playing back video's....

The only thing I haven't tried is uninstalling the drive.

Seeing the tray has just opened while I was typing... I performed a Keyboard test in Help and Support (Vanishing Key Test): this test Failed. However, the keyboard is working fine. I have even uninstalled the KB. Don't know whether this has anything to do with the drive or not. Just thought it
might be worth mentioning...

Thanks..

DWP164

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:06 PM

This can have several causes. The most obvious is malware. I'd suggest that you run this free, online scan of your system to double check your current protection (and it'll also clean your registry - which is another potential problem source): http://safety.live.com/

Let us know if this fixes it. If not, there's plenty more to try!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DWP164

DWP164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

Full system scan completed (Windows Live Onecare) as you suggested. No Virus' and No Spyware found..

The problem still exist...

Thanks..

DWP164

#9 DWP164

DWP164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

One other thing I should probably mention. Prior to doing the Full System scan with "OneCare". I uninstalled the CD/DVD driver, and rebooted the system. Unfortunately, the problem still exist.

Thanks again for your help..

DWP164

#10 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

As a matter of interest, DWP164, how old is the drive?
Layor

P.S. Are you able to try a different drive in its place, even if it is only an old CD drive?

Edited by Layor, 25 November 2006 - 06:02 PM.

#11 DWP164

DWP164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

Purchased: February 2005...

No other drive's available.

Note: I thank you and other's for your help. I can live with this for now. Other's out their probably
have more serious problems then I do at this time. I thank you again for your help...

DWP164

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

Just a long shot, but have you tried a CD cleaner on the drive?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 DWP164

DWP164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

Correct..I have used a CD cleaner.....

The only thing I can say about this drive is what I have said earlier. When the tray with or without CD
is returned to the drive, the reader doesn't seem to know it's their until 4 or 5 secs later. By that time the
tray has ejected. Then the reader starts looking for the CD after it has ejected.

Every test I have run, Help and Support, etc., has indicated everything is working as it should.

DWP164

#14 Layor

Layor

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:27 PM

Is it possible to put that CD into another machine? The reason I ask is because you will need to know if it is the M/B that is causing the problem or the CD/DVD itself. If it is the CD/DVD then it will not be as bad as replacing the M/B if the problem starts to get worse.
Layor

#15 DWP164

DWP164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

If I am understanding you correctly, the CD I have been using in the drive is not the only one. I have used other CD's and DVD's with the same results. Some CD's/DVD's will take the first time. However, if I decide to run the same CD/DVD that ran good the first time, it may not run that way the second or third time. I have cleaned the CD's that won't take the first time but the same problem still exist after cleaning.

I don't have another machine available to run CD's/DVD's on at this time.

If I have misunderstood what you were asking, I apologize...

Thanks for helping..

DWP164

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users