Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need A Pci-e Video Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

Can I buy a pci-e x16 video card and will it work in a x1 slot if that is what I have in my machine? I don't want to spend much money on a card for playing my games but I think I could use one since I have just the integrated one on my E-machine computer. I bought 1 gig or ram already and this improved my game play immensely.

Edited by baso3456, 24 November 2006 - 10:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

I don't think so. If you look at a picture of a PCIex16 compared to PCIex1 they are much different in size. PCIex1 is very small compared to PCIex16 is like the size of ram slots. I think you could put PCI or PCIex1 in PCIx16, but i'm not sure.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:04 PM

You sure it's just PCI-ex1. Not x16. x1 is tiny, about .5-1 inches and x16 is like a good 3-4 inches long.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:51 PM

you either have pci, agp, pcie 1x, pci 16x, or a combination of some of these. I don't think that the pcie slots are backward compatible though. If you need a new card, go find what slot you have and then search for that slot. They do sell pcie 1x video cards (i think the best is x1300) but they are way rare and not as good as the other slots. If you have any alternative to pcie1x, do it (except for pci-normal, but then again, there are some good pci cards and they are more common...)

#5 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:50 AM

Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU
up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available

This is what the spec sheet says. I took a photo of the slots but can't figure out how to post it here. The very top slot is very small and then the one below it is much larger than to regular pci slots below it. So maybe I can use thex16 cards. I wish I could post the picture of them. If i really do have a x16; then what is the very tiny slot for at the very top? It does say on theMB PCIe1. Is it normal to have both a x1 and a x16?

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:01 AM

Your specs say you have PCIe x16 available. The tiny slot is probably PCIe x1, and yes, it is normal to have both. The PCIe x1 is for other add-on cards.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:16 AM

Thanks Mr. Alpha, and thanks for all the other replies as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users