Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Some Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrey

Andrey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:32 PM

Hello, everyone ! I am new to this forums. I apologize maybe this is not the right place to ask for help about a power supply. I have Compaq Presario 5320 US ( around 5 year old now :thumbsup: ). I recently bought Video Card NForce 6800 XT, it requires more powerfull power supply ( around 500W) , my current PS has about 250W and it is clearly not enough. I already found out that standard power supplies are not compatible with my computer. I am asking help to find me solution ( find me a power supply that will work on my computer or any other ideas) for my dilemma. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 November 2006 - 09:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

That is a good video card and I was thinking about getting one of those myself. And yes, your 250W PSU is definately not good enough for this. Some of the review on newegg and other places say they have no problem with this card on even a 300W PSU. This made me conclude that the most important thing was the quality of the psu and the +12v rail. You could go and buy a cheap 500w psu and it would burn up because it might only have 15A on the +12v rail. On the other hand, you could have a higher quality 350w psu and it might do just fine.

For your next psu, I would recommend getting the recommended 500w (you might be ok with lower if you pc doesn't have too much stuff in it) and be sure that it has a +12v rail bigger than 18a (perferrably above 20)

Just so you know the +12v rail is what goes into the card. thats why you need to plug in a power cord.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong :thumbsup:

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:20 PM

If by saying that standard power supplies are not compatible with your case, do you mean that they won't fit in your case?

I've heard of this happening before. You may be stuck going to the compaq website and buy a larger power supply directly from them, one that will fit your case. You may be able to find one elsewhere, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you!

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

What are you trying to accomplish by adding this video card?

The first problem, as you have found out, is that proprietal parts were used to make this computer meaning that you cannot just buy an industry standard power supply, bolt it in and connect it. The MB may not even be able to handle more than the 250W the current power supply outputs.

Even if it could, the motherboard in this computer will support a maximum of 512mb Ram, which in reality using currently popular programs is the minimum it takes to even run XP unless you want to "watch the paint dry".

The processor in this model is a Celeron 1.2GHZ with only a 256 KB L2 cache. OLD TECHNOLOGY!

You do have an AGP slot, but it will support only AGP1 or at the best AGP2.
Again - obsolete.

I do not know for certain, but I doubt if the card will fit much less function in this computer.

#5 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:42 PM

yeah, good points, since you already bought the card though, we should try to make it work.
I've never liked compaq and perhaps you just need a miniATX psu. (or maybe compaq hates everything and will not make their parts compatible).
Anyway, if you do find a psu (contact compaq to see what will work?) the card should work. Even if its just agp 4x.(its probably not 1x\2x or else it would not fit... you did try to plug it in...right?) not really a difference between that and 8x (they just say there is)

You still have OLD technology though and it might not even be worth the upgrade even if you do get it working.

I would say to save up and buy new stuff... but that would make me a hippocrate.

#6 Andrey

Andrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:23 AM

Thanks all for replies . First of all, my computer has 1.5GHz ( it is desktop) and 1G of RAM memory. The video card I bought is already been installed for few weeks in the my computer and it works however the system is not 100% stable because of lack of powerful enough Psu. Also, when i said the standard psu is not compatible, I meant it wont work in my case ( i think the wiring and voltage is different , also i found out that the power supply is proprietary ) and the size is different from original ( it is not a problem because i could make it fit in my case) . As far as I know my MB support AG4 or AG8 not really sure.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:59 AM

You'll need to get a more powerful power supply.

But, let's get it running for now. To do this you'll need to disconnect anything that takes power from the system. In particular, disconnect all USB devices. If you must use them, get a powered hub to run them from.

Then, start disabling/removing any other devices that you can live without (in favor of stable video).

Also, ensure that the case is cleaned inside and out - dust makes the PC work harder - which in turn consumes more power.

You may be able to find a more powerful Compaq PSU at a garage sale or a computer show in your area. Just make sure that it does deliver power before buying it.

Finally, you may want to consider upgrading the entire system rather than buying a new Compaq PSU. I did this a while back for my wife's system - used most of the Compaq parts and bought a barebones bundle from TigerDirect. This may even be cheaper than a new Compaq PSU!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users