Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual-booting - Adding Xp To Windows 98

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonChas

CrimsonChas

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

I'm not quite sure where to begin. First of all, I'm currently running Windows 98. We recently purchased a camera for a very good deal and came to find out that the camera does not work with Windows 98. We're having to install Windows XP. However, we do not want to lose any information on Windows 98 and wish to keep it on the computer.

I've read up on this a bit and I'm not quite sure what it means by partitioning volume in order for the Op Systems to not be running one on top of the other. Can someone lead me to a possible program that does this and what exactly I will encounter once the partition is complete?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

What exactly is it that you want to keep from Windows 98
Posted Image

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:44 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer, CrimsonChas.
Partitioning a drive is simply put dividing it into sections. The Primary partition in always the first partition or section. You would divide it up, as you stated, to install a second operating system, or to store data. Here is a link to describe "Disk Partitioning". There are several good programs out there that will help you partition your drive. Make sure you leave enough room for 98 to operate. To function properly it will need 15% to 20% free space on the partition.
Example: If 98 is using 18 gbs of space right now you want your 98 partition to be at least 20 gbs. If you plan on using the 98 partition I would recommend adding even more.
There is one more option. If you are planning to move to XP, which I highly recommend, you could create a FAT32 partition and transfer all your data to the second partition. When you have everything you want there, format and install XP on the primary partition, where 98 currently is installed.

I would recommend you use Partition Magic for this project. It is not free but it is straight forward and reliable. Please wait a couple of days to hear from other members before proceeding.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:34 AM

Hi, it's a long time since I had 98 but as I remember, I installed XP which created it's own partition leaving the 98 in a partition of it's own, and I could boot to either system. However, once I got used to having XP, it was not long before I did away with the 98 all together.

#5 CrimsonChas

CrimsonChas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

If you are just wanting to save documents or picture files and et cetera that have accumulated over the years, what do you do?

Our camera does not run on Windows 98, but we cannot lose our files. We do not care if we keep 98 or not. She does not have a cd burner to burn her data onto disks, nor does her laptop have a floppy drive.

We've tried using usb memory sticks, but Windows 98 cannot recognize the drivers.

Any help is appreciated and thanks to everyone else that has helped.

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

Why not just perform an upgrade install? You will keep all of your current files while being able to use the advantages of Windows XP.

-needTOS
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#7 CrimsonChas

CrimsonChas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

What if it does not give an option for an Upgrade Installation? It only states "Install Windows XP".

#8 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

After you insert the Windows XP Installation CD. There will be a menu that will have a list one being Install Microsoft Windows XP. Select that. Wait for setup to start then select (if not already) "Upgrade" install (recomended). It will then upgrade your system to XP. I would run the upgrade advisor first to be sure it is XP complient. Also, setup will take a while, as it did with my 98 machiine. Give it a few hours and it will be up and running.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:,

-needTOS

#9 CrimsonChas

CrimsonChas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:39 PM

Thanks needTOS, I was helping her over the phone and she couldn't get past the setup wizard due to some system configs that had been done. I had her go into system config utilities and I had her working it out. We're now setting it up.

Unfortunately we just came across this error message:

"Setup cannot copy D:/1386/win9xupg/setupapi.dll to C:/WINDOWS/Setup/Setupapi.dll."

Help?

#10 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

I had that happen before. I just took the CD back and got a new one.

-needTOS

#11 CrimsonChas

CrimsonChas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

Why would this be a software issue?

#12 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

I am not sure. Once I got a new CD though it worked fine. Did you run the compatibility advisor?

#13 CrimsonChas

CrimsonChas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

There was no compatibility advisor option. I asked her what all options she had, and it only stated "upgrade installation".

#14 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

That screen that first pops up after inserting the CD. I can't remember what it is under (not setup Windows XP though) that will have the UPGRADE Advisor.

#15 CrimsonChas

CrimsonChas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

Nevermind, we just found it. Oy, I wish I was there doing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users