Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good News For Linux: Microsoft, Novell Pact In Trouble

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

David Berlind is reporting that all is not well in what Dana Gardner called the "Fox marries chicken" deal between Microsoft and Novell earlier this month.

This is a good thing, say many GNU/Linux supporters.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/index.php?p=206

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:25 AM

I'm surprised this is the first post about this here.

I hope the whole thing falls through. I enjoy my linux the way it is now. It's free or free or free/free because the people who wrote it want it that way. Now corporations are trying to exploit that to make themselves en more money and destroying all competition. I will never buy SuSe again, and I will be searching for alternative products to anything Novell has made that I currently use.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 Mike000000001

Mike000000001

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:41 AM

I would be only too happy to see Windows turned into yet one more skin on top of Unix, like OS X. :thumbsup:

#4 Doc.Logix

Doc.Logix

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:00 PM

Neat! Bumped into something interesting about that blog! Not suprising just interesting...
My linux box is crunching source right now, so I was using my M$ Winders machine to browse this forum. I had not read the blog linked in the above post yet, so diceded I would. Well being that I quite dislike IE, but sometimes have to have true IE capability in my work, I use Maxthon, which uses the IE engine.

When I went to read the blog, it loaded the page perfectly fine, then suddenly poped an error dialog indicating that IE could not display the page and the operation was aborted. Even though the page was right in front of me but the error dialog took focus so I could not scroll or anything. Upon closing the dialog it kindly cleared the page and displayed the "Page Not Found" dialog in the browser! Same thing with IE 6.

Loaded the page with firefox, no problem at all. Well I know M$ trys to use every advantage possible, even unethical ones, but do you suppose they even put keyword triggers in the IE engine as far back as v6? I though that was limited to AOL coding in such a way to prevent you from viewing pages that spoke negatively about the company. LOL

Entertaining anyway.

Doc.

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:37 AM

I know a lot of linux fan boys who enjoy making thier blogs/forums or sites specifically to be non compatible with IE. Maybe this is the case?
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#6 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

I know a lot of linux fan boys who enjoy making thier blogs/forums or sites specifically to be non compatible with IE. Maybe this is the case?

a turn about of the "you must use IE to view this page properly" thing , I like that :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

I don't see how it benefits 'Linux". Microsoft and Novell are companies, Linux is an Operating System. And any collaboration, no matter how unusual that brings Linux to the forefront, is good for Linux. So arguably, this would be bad for Linux.

#8 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:44 AM

Long, Long ago, in a land not so far away, there once was a project named BSD. They made a deal with the devil and look where thier at now.

The problem is MS is trying to claim thier developers intellectual property is in linux code. MS says it will seek restitution for use of that IP in the future and the only people who will be exempt from thier sweep, will be SuSE users, due to this agreement. The irony is MS has always "stolen" code from BSD and apple for thier syustems, so I wouldn't be surprised to find some linuxy things in there as well. The danger is when MS buys or makes agreements with competitors, they soon disappear.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

So then maybe Novell will disappear, but I rather think Linux isn't going anywhere... just my opinion.

#10 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

Several German Banks I believe have already ordered SuSe thru M$ IIRC , as the German Gov. has announced plans to switch to linux any way( if they haven't already). The Novell/M$ Thing is quite possibly the crux in the development of Linux for "everyday , everyone" type use or it could be the harbringer of doom to all the smaller Distros that don't get the "blessing" of M$ and don't have the Financial backing of Red Hat . we'll just have to wait and see , but I'm not very optimistic about any thing that involves M$ playing nice.

Posted Image

#11 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:12 AM

Groovicus:

I agree. Regardless of what happens between Novell and MS, linux will still be here. If it were to actually come under threat, the community would simply strip each distro down and remove anything that isn't 100% open and free.

No One:

Many times this is just a threat to force MS to renogotiate a less expensive contract. The UK did this not long ago. They announced to the world they were ditching MS in favor of Linux due to security and price. MS soon made them a much better deal and included migration up to XP at a much less expensive rate. I'm not saying that's what Germanies done, as you pointed out, they ordered a boat load of SUSE. But, ordering that, they still stay in the realm of MS.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#12 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

Several German Banks I believe have already ordered SuSe thru M$ IIRC , as the German Gov. has announced plans to switch to linux any way( if they haven't already). The Novell/M$ Thing is quite possibly the crux in the development of Linux for "everyday , everyone" type use or it could be the harbringer of doom to all the smaller Distros that don't get the "blessing" of M$ and don't have the Financial backing of Red Hat . we'll just have to wait and see , but I'm not very optimistic about any thing that involves M$ playing nice.

Being a German, I can only say I havent heard anything of that in the news, or read it to date. What has happened and what is still happening, is that lots of government departments are switching toLinux, but rather are using Debian as their base system and derivating it to suit their needs. Munich is a great example for that. What is fact, is that Suse is one of the most popular distributions used in Germany, along with Ubuntu.

Links:
http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/dir/limux/e...7197/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limux

http://news.com.com/Debian+wins+Munich+Lin..._3-5689003.html
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/t...ux-munich_x.htm
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=12611

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#13 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

I posted this elsewheres back in March
It's not at all suprising , if you think about it.
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/5436/
can't find my other links (thought I had booked marked them)
nice link from USA Today :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#14 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

This is what I was thinking about earlier
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/21/mi...vell_customers/
2 German, 1 Swiss, if I'm correct.

Posted Image

#15 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

Amsterdam gives Linux a try:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9492246163.html

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -