Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Agp Video Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

Ok, I know i've posted something like this before, but now its almost christmas and I'm ready to buy a new-ish video card. I'm still using agp for a couple more years until dx10 and those cards get cheaper. In the mean time, I want a new card. So far, I've narrowed it down to a few... (trying to keep it below $150 so i'm not even really considering the 7800)

xfx 6800xt - I've been looking at this for a while. Only 8 pipes, but a good oc-er, gddr3, 256bit mem and it looks way cool

7600 - 12 pipes, but only gddr2 and 128bit mem. (Is it still better than the 6800)

radeon x850 - really good reviews, 12 pipes (4 more usually unlockable), 256bit gddr3 ram. (the only reason i dont like this one as much as the other 2 is because of the lack of shader model 3... I like my eye candy)(if this would be MUCH better than any other and you dont think i will see a difference in the shading, tell me.)

and finally, x1600/1650 - was seriously considering this because it looks like it has the best of all the cards i was considering, but on some sites, they called this card a joke, and were telling how horrible it was.

If anyone knows of a better card < $150, please tell

I have also already been to vga charts and saw benchmarks and stuff, but a lot of those arent realistic and are comparing agp right next to pci-e and stuff.

Please someone tell me their personal preference. I'm dying of undecidedness.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

It's kind of a toss up. But I'd go with one of these cards. If you can find a X1650 XT ( The XT is way better then then PRO 12 piep difference ) in AGP I'd think you should go with that, as it also allows HDR lighting and Anit-Asling+ Anistrophic filtering at the smae time. But ifd not, as I'm pretty sure it's hard to find, and if it's under 150$, go with the 6800 as it would probably be your best bet.

X850's a little noisy I think as well.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

Well, I looked... my main stores are usually ebay or newegg and I could only find the x1650 pro... but it looks really nice...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102056

but I checked on tomshardware.com interactive vga charts and it showed the 6800 still beating it... in fact, the 6800 even beat out the 7600 in those tests... but it was kinda mixing agp, pcie, sli and stuff so I dont know how accurate it would be for this.

Still undecided... just trying to find the best agp card under $150

Why cant the vid card companies just go in order... i mean, 6800 beating a 7600?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

For $100 to $150 range: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib....6/sortby=priceD

Video card comparator: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Best video cards for your money: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/31/the...for_your_money/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nforce

nforce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

Ok, I know this topic is kinda outdated now, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I'm getting a video card from a friend, It's not the very best, but hes giving me such a good price, i couldn't resist ;)

Its a bfg geforce 6800 oc.
I know there is the possibility of unlocking some pipelines and stuff with rivatuner.
I was wondering if this is a good card in your opinion to run newer games at hight \ mostly high settings and how much of a performance boost it will be compared to my 9600xt.
Thanks.

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

Off the top of my head, I don't know exacltly. Depends on the game. Some cards do stuff better then others, take the X700 for example, it was meant to kinda' battle the 6600GT, but it failed to do that, the 6600GT beat it out in everything execpt games that were demanding on the vertex pipelines were the X700 had a much biger advantage.

The 6800OC will be a big improvement, I could be wrong, but atleast double if your CPU isn't bottlenecking it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users